My baby is taking a bottle!!! I somehow never thought this day would come. She has slowly been warming up to the special sippy cup I have for her. Each day she was making more progress and drinking little by little from the sippy cup. Two nights ago I went to fill up her milk bag for her feeding tube and she started opening her mouth, basically rooting around for something to drink. I had the bottle of milk in my hand and thought, what the heck, I will see if she will take a regular bottle instead of the special sippy cup I had been giving her. And whoila!! She started sucking and drank for a couple of minutes!! Then the next morning she pulled her feeding tube out and we decided to give her a day without the tube and try just the bottle. She did pretty good. For about a 12 hour period she drank 6 ounces which is an absolute miracle for her!! However, it was about half the ounces she should have taken in for that period of time. Bummer. So we put the tube back in (which we knew we would have to do). She took the bottle again a few times today but did not drink as much. Here's the problem though, she drinks in 5 minutes what her system is used to digesting in about 40 minutes. Therefore, she throws it all up!! My poor little baby, she finally tries to drink a bottle and then her little tummy can't handle it and up it goes! I talked to the dietician at the GI clinic and she told me to maybe not give her the bottle very much because she is not keeping it down. It is pretty hard to not want to really help Gracie along at this point. We have waited almost 10 months for her to really drink a bottle and she is finally doing it. Yea Gracie Girl!! But for now, the main thing is to get her to thrive and gain weight for her surgery. So I will continue to try a little bit of bottle feeding every day until we can really concentrate on it after her surgery. I asked the dietician how long you should keep a baby on an NG tube and she said usually only 6 months. So I think that after her heart surgery we will most likely be looking at a g-tube with the Nissin. Unless another miracle happens and she miraculously stops throwing up, we'll see.
Gracie has been a little whiny lately and I think it is because she is cutting more teeth!! I noticed a MOLAR on her right bottom side today. She now has three almost four top teeth and four bottom teeth with that molar. My babies usually have 12 teeth by the time they are ONE so she is on her way!!
17 comments:
What a good girl! Too bad her little stomach is not liking it. At least it is progress!
Hooray for Grace!! Sorry to hear about the vomitting. I know it feels like it will never end. It will. Andrew had a NG feeding tube from day 9 of his life until he was 11 months old. I just couldn't let them do a G tube. I felt that it would set him back even more. Keep on keeping on. She'll get used to it.
Andrea
Andrew's mom
IHH
YEAH FOR THE BOTTLE GRACIE!! That is just awesome! The reflux is such a bummer. Maybe the Gtube and the Nissen will be good for her... but maybe she'll just need time after the Glenn and things will just settle down on their own?! I'll pray for that! :)
I was always ANTI-Nissen because it's permanent and they can't ever "pukey" again. I can't imagine NOW being sick and having to puke and NOT being able to... it'd be aweful. AND.. these kiddos usually outgrow the reflux. Owen still does a little, but it has improved as he's gotten older (and he's not getting any healthier).
The Gtube is an issue we've gone back and forth on from day 1. It's not an easy decision because there are pros and cons to both.
Keep offering her that bottle and you never know....
Andrea
Are you kidding me? You didn't tell me this over the phone just now? I'm SO DANG PROUD of that little sweetie!!! If only she could just continue getting better without having to have the stumbling block of this next surgery, but hopefull this is the beginning of a whole new life for her and for you! Thanks for making my day!
How cute that she finally wants a bottle. Maybe her digestive system will catch up...That must have been fun for you to hold her without any tubes for so long. A glimpse into the future I hope. Good job Gracie!
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! What an exciting milestone Gracie has reached. We are praying for her and your family as this surgery date gets closer!
YEAH Gracie!! It is the BEST feeling in the world to see them eating by themselves!
Yay for the bottle! That is great news! I'm sure her little body will get the hang of it soon. She is such a little fighter.
Lots of great news from Gracie! She is quite the champ. She is lucky to have such a great family helping her grow up.
What a great milestone for the New Year!! A little each day and she will be a pro!
Go Gracie Girl!!! She is such a strong little princess and we are so proud of her!
Praying for her Glenn and her continued strength in preparing for it.
Love y'all~ Rebecca
Michele,
CONGRATS on Gracie taking a bottle! That is fabulous news! I have an HLHS baby, too, Emma Kate. She is almost 5 months old. She has been taking a bottle now for two and a half months and we are so pleased. I remember the feelings of elation when she first started taking one! And I totally get what you are saying when she isn't used to taking that much milk in so quickly!
Press on! She will make it! Its possible. She's showing progress and you have such patience with her, I can tell! :)
Just a piece of friendly advice. I don't know what kind of bottle you are using, but another HLHS momma told me I should try a Dr. Brown's bottle. That is what helped Emma Katie the most, I feel. Try it out if you aren't already! She might take it!
I've enjoyed keeping up with your blog. It is good to see what other families are going thru!
Hi Gledhill family! My Mary Clare was born with HLHS in June 2007. It has been a several months since I've checked in on baby Gracie and I can't believe how beautifully she is doing! She still has those amazing eyes! I will continue to pray for her, especially these next several weeks as you prepare for the next step in your journey.
Way to go with the bottle, Gracie-Girl! That is such a HUGE accomplishment!
Love, Kerri Pennington
www.babypennington.com
wahoo!!! We are cheering here in our house!
Too bad that she is throwing it up, but still...that is GREAT progress! We are all praying for that sweet sweet girl!! Loves to Gracie girl!
Tami
Way to go Gracie. You are such a big girl. Keep up the good work we are all praying for you!
Rachel
It's been awhile since I've checked up on you all. What encouraging news about the bottle. Don't give up! I remember getting this advice from a doctor after we brought Natalie home from the hospital after 3-1/2 months on a feeding tube: "Treat her as much like any child her age and see what she does. Don't treat her like a sick child, but let her experience as much of the "normal" things as possible." We took this advice and watched her blossom. I hope that Gracie continues to show improvement. The Glenn really helped with Natalie's energy level. Hope this is the case for Gracie too.
how exciting! way to gracie girl! mason sends xoxoxo's
Post a Comment