Gracie, 6 months old in this picture.
Just thinking about my girl today and missing her. Today she would have been 14 months old.
This is one of my favorite pictures of her, being held by one of her biggest fans, my mom. I don't know what it is about this picture that is so striking to me. I like the coloring, the red flowers in the corner, her sweet face looking so peaceful and content, her little fingers with her girly bracelet hanging off her wrist, her cute little hair with a line down the center where her bow used to be, the feeling of pure love from a grandma.......everything about it is special.
It's amazing to think that we took hundreds of pictures of Gracie but now I feel like it's not enough. I wish I had more. I actually wish I had more good pictures of her, I have a lot of hospital pictures but those are not the ones that I tend to look at. All you have are pictures and videos when your loved one is gone......and I don't think it's possible to have too many. So, that is the challenge for me and for you this summer, take more pictures of your loved ones.....take more than usual at that family party, family reunion or picnic or just your every day events. They will be priceless to someone someday.

54 comments:
I agree you can never have enough.. my camera is attached to my hip 24-7 and my family always jokes about ALL the pictures I take.. but one day I know I will look back on them and be so very happy that I clicked and clicked and clicked away! Continuing to keep your sweet Gracie Girl in my thoughts daily.
I love the picture too Michele... it's beautiful! I'm sure you're looking forward to summer, having the kids home, maybe sneak in a vacation or two?? Yes, I will take you up on the picture challenge. I am actually getting ready to buy my first "big girl" camera. Praying for your family still. I love Gracie's name in sand!
Always thinking of you all.
Andrea
Oh Michele-
My heart gives a hug to your tender heart..
I love that picture of Gracie...so sweet...tender...beautiful... Perfect!
You are in my constant thoughts and prayers Michele...all of you!
There isnt a day that goes by that I dont have thoughts of you and your family.
Hugs to you!
It's a beautiful picture! You are so right, we don't take nearly enough photos of our loved ones. Thank you for a timely reminder.
Precious picture!! I need to take more pictures of Mason and all my kiddos. Thanks for the challenge! Praying for you and your family always.
Love, Mason's Mommy
Thanks for the summer challenge.
I'm sorry you are missing your GG today. I was thinking about her too and that's why I checked the blog. I'm sure she's missing you too. I know it can never be easy, but I hope over time it gets easier. I'm thinking about you this afternoon. And you're right - it's a beautiful picture - of beautiful a subject.
That means I have to buy a camera! YAY! Thanks for the excuse!
I love all the pictures of little geeg, and think about her all the time, too. I'll never forget her.
That is a priceless picture of Gracie and her grandma. You can see the love in your mom's face for her little granddaughter.
i love that pic too...and gracie is so happy and content in it too. i prayed for you as i read...
i am a picture hound...so i am glad to read that reminder today from you.
It is the prettiest picture ever!! You can feel love just when looking at it. I miss her for you. Praying for you! xxoxoxo
I love to see pictures of Gracie. That is another darling picture of her. I think about you often, Michele. You know, the other day I was playing the beginning of Gracie's Theme on the piano and my (almost) 5 year old daughter, Kaycee, knew right away that it was "Gracie's song". Lots of love to you from our family.
So many things we take for granted. Even everyday pictures like you said will be priceless to "someone" someday. That someone may be us or a future spouse or child of theirs. Thank you for the challenge. I take lots of photos anyway, but I'm going to take more everday ones because of you. I'm so sorry for your moments of missing her that creep up on you. I hope you feel her close to you then. How can any of us ever stop missing her? I'm so glad we have each other. Thank you especially for your listening ear and words of comfort and advice in my times of sadness this past week.
What a beautiful picture. I am Leah's Mom, Avery Ann's Grandma, and I too, wish we had many more good pictures. So I depend on my memory.. She left so soon.
Barbara
Thank you for this reminder. I will definitely cherish my kids pictures more with your little Gracie in mind. I hope you have a bright day. love, Kierstin Laws (Kathy Jensen's daughter)
I agree I'm always taking photos and my family gives me a hard time about it, but they will be happy that I have them!
I love the photo of Gracie,she is a Beautiful Baby! I thought about her today!
Thinking about you always!
I was thinking about her today also. That picture is adorable, and I will take you up on that and take more pictures this summer. I still think about and pray for you guys every day.
So true! I carry my camera in my purse but don't get it out enough. I know pictures are priceless and I need to take way more! Thanks for the reminder!
YAY! thank you for the excuse to take more pictures;-) i'm always getting flack from everyone, but i keep telling them they'll appreciate it someday;-)
I've read your blog for some time but never commented before...I wanted to share a website and organization which is a wonderful blessing to so many parents who have lost their children. It is the Healing Hearts Foundation, which was started after my friends lost their son Bobby. The foundation does many great things, one of which is to provide grieving parents with beautiful portraits of their child. Please check out www.angelbobby.com and feel free to share it with others.
I am so very, very sorry for your loss of your sweet Gracie.
What a beautiful picture - I love how the red flowers match Gracie's dress! I have been reading your blog for quite awhile now and have never commented - I have always been so touched when I read your entries, but never had the right words to express how sad I was for your loss. This touched me today and I am going to take your challenge! and try to capture as many moments as I can! Thank you agin for sharing your life and your little Gracie with us!
You are so very special. Thank you.
xoxo,
Mindi and McKay
I loved this picture too when it pulled up. It is a great picture of your mom and Gracie. Gracie looks so good and like she stopped for a pose. So cute. And thanks for the reminder of pictures. Today was Matt's last day of kindergarten and we went with a lot of friends to the park, and of course I forgot the camera and the whole time thought I should have been taking some candid pictures with his friends. So, thanks for the great example and reminder!! :) We still pray for you and your little family and hope that you can get through those especially rough days. I know that when I have one of those rough days of missing my dad, it seems like the day lasts forever--which is so hard, but then again I am so happy to have memmories too.
Thanks for your sweet words and reminders. My only baby girl is just a few weeks older than your Gracie and I cherish her so much! Just a thought, I'm a photographer and wondered if you had any pics of Gracie that are decent but could use some improvement. Maybe if you had some of these I, or another skilled photoshop person, could retouch a couple of them to make them the "good pictures" you long for. Maybe we could remove the tube from her face allowing you to just see her sweet face, not the illness that took her.
Just an idea, I'm not photoshop guru and I don't have a lot of time, but I'm willing to try one or two shots for you. It's always nice to help others, especially in the name of such a sweet baby!
Side note...i did a funeral slideshow for a baby boy a year ago and used Paul Cardell's "I Am A Child of God" song...never heard his story though until this blog and was so grateful to make the connection! Such a great guy.
Thanks for sharing your story, and for your strength in this tough time in your life!
(my email jen@photojenic.net)
That is truly a beautiful picture! I was telling someone at work last week that I always thought that I would be the one parent who took equal pictures of each child. Well, with Cole my third, I have no where near the amount of my first and second. We struggle to even film events such as him learning to walk. So SAD! I think inside I am still a little scared from his PCMC adventure 5 days after he was born and always wondering if he is okay. I think that there is that attachment fear, yet if something were to happen, I know I would be so sad to not have more pictures! Thanks for the reminder as well as sharing your words as they have made me look at this in a different light!
Michele
You don't know me and I don't know you, but I want you to know what an inspiration you are. I came across your blog a couple months ago, I believe it was right after your sweet Gracie had passed away. I was in tears as I went back and read all your beautiful posts/tributes to your daughter. I can't tell you that I know how you feel since I have never gone through what you have, but I do think about your family often. Thank you for your challenge. Thank you for showing people to be thankful for the little things. You are a wonderful person and Gracie is lucky to have you as her mom.
Natalie
You don't know me and I don't know you, but I want you to know what an inspiration you are. I came across your blog a couple months ago, I believe it was right after your sweet Gracie had passed away. I was in tears as I went back and read all your beautiful posts/tributes to your daughter. I can't tell you that I know how you feel since I have never gone through what you have, but I do think about your family often. Thank you for your challenge. Thank you for showing people to be thankful for the little things. You are a wonderful person and Gracie is lucky to have you as her mom.
Natalie
Every time I read yout entries I have tears coming down. I can see how mush you are husting and I don;t know you or your family but I am hurting with you. You are so right about taking more pictures.
I am so sorry for the lost of your beautiful Angel.
Thinking of you.
I have to tell you that my husband thinks that I'm nuts for ALWAYS taking pictures..........not anymore.;-) Since Lindsay, he has gotten a new appreciation for them. Precious not only to view, but precious to your heart. The picture of Gracie and your mom is just stunning, I agree! A treasure for sure. As time goes on, I get more and more nervous about Lindsay's transplant. However, God has a plan and we have to accept whatever happens. You have done this so gracefully and I respect you more than you know. My heart stills aches for you and I so wish you could have more pictures of her. I think about you all the time. I cry for you alot. I see balloons, and I think of Gracie.
Love to you~
Suzie
I'm taking your challenge:) My friends already tease me for ALWAYS having my camera on me.
That is a beautiful picture. But every picture with Gracie in it is Beautiful.
Ah, beautiful picture with Grandma.
Thinking of you guys this memorial weekend.
All our love,
The Gleason's
Thank you for sharing your feelings and thoughts tonight...I have to tell you that I struggle to look at the pictures you post of sweet Gracie, because to me she looks like my baby girl Aysha May...the dark features and hair and everything, so you're extra special and close to my heart because I feel a closeness between our babies. I will do better at taking pictures...and I hope you can find peace and comfort in the ones you do have of sweet Gracie girl...she's beautiful...and you're an amazing person.
Thanks again
I ABSOLUTELY agree! Even though we took TONS of pics of Jake, I wish we continually took more, or that I did different poses, or took more of him and my kids. It really is the only thing you have left of them. Wow, thanks for the tears. That is truly how I feel!!
I love the picture of Gracie and her grandma, and of the picture of her name in the sand. Gracie was so blessed to be able to come down to earth and have such a wonderful mommy and family. It is obvious what kind of a mother you are--INCREDIBLE. You have such grace and your words are filled with love and your memories so vivid and beautiful. Thank you for the challenge. You challenge me everyday to be a better mother, to take time to love my children, to take more pictures, and to cherish every moment. I love reading your blog and although I can't help but cry when I see Gracie's beautiful face every time I return to your blog, I always feel grateful,inspired, and my heart is full when I leave. I hope that you are able to find the strength that you need for this Memorial weekend. I certainly will be thinking of you and your family--and praying. Lots of love---
Becca Anderson
The true love of grandparents is such a special gift to treasure! Gracie looks so sweet and innocent in this pic with her special grandma. Thanks for the little reminder to take more pics. I will try harder to do just that so I will have those priceless treasures someday for someone else or myself to enjoy. I know Gracie is missing you also. Praying for you daily. Hang in there! Much love always!!
December 4, 2007 was my 60th birthday and I was driving to work feeling sorry for myself, because now I was an "old"lady. A call from Michele that afternoon did not say Happy Birthday Mom!, but "Hi Mom, we received very bad news, our baby girl has only one functioning valve and ventricle"
Forgive me Lord for when I whine I have a whole heart the world is mine. My new little granddaughter will not live to be an "old lady". This is the first lesson of many my name sake taught me. Gracie Jean immediately stole the hearts of her Grandma and especially her Grandpa Gary. Her strength, fight for life, courage and adorable face, constantly brought a tear to our eyes. She graced our lives with more precious moments than words can write on paper.
We love you for all eternity. Till we meet again Sweet Grandchild.
Grandma Connie Jean
P.S When daughter-in-law or daughters are with camera, put on more make-up!
I love that picture. I always thought she looked like your mom. Thanks for the advice on taking pictures and video. I need to video my boys. I never do that.
I have 3 rolls of film (this was before digital cameras were the norm) and no video at all from Tera's 2 weeks of life. It's disgusting and the one thing that I remain bitter and angry about 8 years later. I'm known as the "Picture Nazi" in our family... I usually take a good hundred or two A MONTH now! I can always buy more hard drive storage! ;)
I agree. No amount of pictures is enough.
I love that picture too.
Love it!!!!
Thank u for sharing your picture and your feelings!
I pray for you and the family every day!
Beautiful picture. I love your mom so much...maybe that is why that picture is extra cute! Thanks for the advice about taking pictures. I've been trying to do that more. I can barely find any pictures of Derek from age 1 to age6. It makes me sad!
I got a call from Meg's teacher last Thursday that she had been crying during singing time. When I asked her about it it was because they were singing "You are My Sunshine" and it reminded her of Gracie. We still think about your sweet girl all of the time!
Love Nat
That photo is priceless, for sure. Thanks for sharing your sweet pictures with us still. I truly regret not taking more of Gracie too. A tough reminder that I need to take more pictures of my own kids. Also, after we lost Robb's mom, we realized we didn't have photos of her with each of our kids like we wished we did. And it was too late. I am so happy to see you have a sweet photo like that of Gracie and your mom.
P.S. I haven't forgotten that I need to get you all of my Gracie pictures, either! I promise, I will do it soon. I so wish I had more!
I love this photo, and I adore Gracie's name in the sand. That is so beautiful! I just started following your blog. I am so sorry for your loss. I to have a sick child, but they are still such a blessing
I love this picture too. When it first came up, she looked 'healthy'. I didn't notice the feeding tube right off. It is precious, she is sweet, I ache for you. I too, wish she was stil here to take pictures of!
Michele, I had followed Gracie's story for awhile and then stopped when we lost our HLHS baby in October (he was a week younger than Gracie). I had heard about and am VERY sorry for your loss...
I hear you completely on the picture thing..I'm so disappointed that we don't have more but work very hard to have no regrets..
Hang in there, I'm joining others in praying for you and your family.
I'll bet you don't have a single picture of Gracie that isn't cute, she, after all, was darling! Her cheeks and big eyes are precious. I too felt we took an excessive amount of pictures but like you said it isn't enough. I hope you are well and your husband and kids are surviving. Are you out of survival mode yet?
I love that picture! She's just absolutely precious!
I take tons and tons of pictures...my husband gets onto me because I take so many sometimes but I never want to regret. I even have a hard time deleting sometimes because I'm scared one day I'll wish I had it to look back on. Still praying for your family..I think of you all often.
Thanks Michelle, I will do that.
Thinking about your guys this memorial weekend. Your headstone is perfect and so glad you did the picture. They were not normal when we did Danny's and I have never been so glad about doing something as that. I love the name in the sand. I think I will try and do it for Danny, even though it has been 12 years! He was still a child. (send me an email on how).
We love all your thoughts and prayers - so real and true.
love you tons
Annette
I don't know you but have followed you for a bit.... You are in my thoughts often. I pray for your peace and comfort, Gracie's mom, forever.
Thanks for the reminder!
I have been reading your blog for a long time now. I have a 5 month old little girl and reading your blog has helped me to love the "little things" a little more! I cry everytime I read your blog and sometimes lay in bed at night and talk about your latest post with my hubby and we both cry. My heart breaks for your loss so I cant even imagine what your heart must feel like? Thanks for this blog it helps me love everyone around me more! At least we know that we will see our loved ones again someday and that is truely the only way I could deal with something like you are dealing with! Your in my prayers!!
Michele,
My Papa was a chemist for Kodak from the 1940s until he retired. All of his kids (7 of them) worked for the company. We all have sooooooooo many pictures of ourselves and family because of his legacy. He loved Kodak and he loved us. You are right we need to keep taking more pictures because there are never enough. What a wonderful way to show your children your love, by leaving a legacy in pictures.
I love this picture of GG and your mom. It's that intense Gracie look, as if she knows something more than most babies do.
Praying..................
Amy
thank you for your sweet counsel. as usual, you inspire me.
True. But it's finding the balance. I have lots and lots and lots of pictures of Bridget. I'm so glad. I really am. I wish I had more, too! But it's not really wishing I had more of those days we had her. It's more just that I wish I was still taking more. I have an obsession of taking pictures, and it started even before Dominic died. It's good, because for a fourth child, and without ever any idea that I'd want them, I have a lot of pictures of him. Still not enough. Well, I only took MORE pictures, of course, after he died. And so I have that many more of Bridget (plus, digital cameras made it more). I don't have video of Dominic, but luckily our digital camera did make videos, so I have some of Bridget. Anyway, what I'm saying is DON'T FORGET TO LIVE YOUR LIFE IN FRONT OF THE LENS! Sometimes I am taking so many pictures that I forget to just enjoy that time together. It sure is nice to take pictures, but it's hard sometimes to find the balance. Especially when we know how precious these memories are and how much more they fade when we don't have the visual/tangible cues.
Wow,I just read have of your blog,sweet Gracies story has truly touched me!I had to get up and go look at both of my precious girls,they are fast asleep in there beds.I will definitely hug them a little tighter when they wake up in the morning.I don't think I have anymore tears left,the way that you tell Gracies beautiful story.I couldn't imagine going through what you are right now,but it is wonderful to hear how you and your family are leaning on Jesus!I think about my Aunt Dianne all the time,she passed from a aortic aneurysm suddenly in 2005 she was only 44.I miss her so much,and I think about what she would say or how happy she would be if she were here to meet my sweet baby girls.She loved babies and children,it made me smile to think,that she was probably one of the first in line to meet your sweet Gracie and hold her.One day we will all be a big happy family in heaven!I will be praying for your family,God Bless!!
Post a Comment