Looking at the clock that afternoon was like looking at a ticking time bomb. .......four hours left, then three........then two.........the anxiety was so high I didn't know what to do. How do you gather enough strength to watch your child pass away? Oh how I wished I could stop the clock!! But I knew she was in pain and that it was time to let her go.
Later that night after she passed away, I couldn't bring myself to blog about that experience. That's when my husband so beautifully wrote his post 'Goodnight Gracie'. A blog that I had faithfully updated for 14 months had now lost it's main character, my GG. My love, my inspiration was now gone. I would now be writing an obituary, planning a funeral, dressing my baby's body at the funeral home and seeing her sweet face one more time before closing the casket. Experiences that none of us want to have. But some of the most important life lessons come about from the most painful experiences. We can't learn them any other way, it's just not possible.
One year.......it feels longer than one year since we ended our mortal journey with Gracie. Since then, our lives have gotten 'back to normal', and sometimes it all feels like a dream. We have been blessed by the kindness of others and that has helped heal our broken hearts. We have much to be grateful for.
Blogging since Gracie passed away has been challenging because I always like to blog with a picture or two. Obviously over the 14 months that I kept up the blog, I used all of my favorite pictures of her. So for this post, I thought I would post the beautiful portraits that people have done for us of our Gracie Girl.
A couple weeks ago, we attended Paul Cardall's concert at Abravenal Hall. He played to a sold out crowd of 2,700 people, many of whom had been effected by congenital heart disease. The concert was awesome. He ended the concert with a longer and different version of 'Gracie's Theme'. It was so beautiful with a full orchestra!! We are so blessed to all of you who continue to remember our sweet Gracie. Paul had a silent auction before his concert and an artist named Patricia Christensen donated her services in doing a free portrait of anything the bidder would like her to paint. In doing so, she asked if she could paint Gracie for her example portrait for the concert. We of course said 'YES!' and saw it for the first time that night. Patricia gave it to us and we are thrilled. I particularly like her eyes, eyebrows and fuzzy hair. I think it's just adorable! (sorry about the flash on the glass).
Sisters........ JR Johansen (my mother in law's cousin) did this portrait of Callie and Gracie. He did an 'Angels Among Us' exhibit up in Huntsville of children who had passed away or who have medical conditions. He even incorporated her little 'chapstick' into the picture. (For those of you who don't know, to overcome her oral aversion, the speech therapists told us to use chapsticks to get her used to flavors and positive things by her face) He has an amazing talent and I love Gracie's chubby cheeks and fuzzy hair......ooooooo it just makes me want to smooch those cute cheeks again!!We cherish each one of these portraits as well as each and every gift, letter and email that has come our way with words of comfort and love. I don't know how many times I can say that we truly could not have gotten through this experience without the love and support from all of our family, friends and blogging friends!
It wouldn't be my blog without putting my latest favorite quote on here (which I have already attached to my side bar), it reads:
".....Heaven's kindness will never depart from you, regardless of what happens......Bad days come to an end, faith always triumphs, and heavenly promises are always kept."
--Jeffrey R. Holland--
--Jeffrey R. Holland--
Gracie, we miss your sweet smile, little blue fingers, chubby cheeks, fuzzy hair, big dark blue eyes, gorgeous long eyelashes, fluffy hair and button nose. You are deeply missed. But we will have you in our family forever. We have a little piece of heaven in our home when we think of you and honor your memory. Our memories of our life with you will make us live better lives while we are here without you. Until we see you again sweet baby girl, we love you!!
P.S. I am adding this little tidbit to this post today on March 3rd. The newspaper said that MARCH 2ND is BY FAR the most likely day for moisture of any day the WHOLE year. I thought that was pretty interesting. The odds are just over 50% that it will rain or snow on March 2nd. In fact, no other day of the year statistically has a chance for moisture that is 50% or more. (January 11 and April 25 were the next two most likely days for rain in Salt Lake City at only 41%). So BRING ON THE RAIN, so appropriate for all the future March 2nd"s we have ahead of us!
62 comments:
Beautiful portraits Michele... your blog is a beautiful tribute to your beautiful baby girl.
You and your family are an inspiration to us all. God Bless you and your Gracie....
Oh, what stunning artwork! Of course, it helps that the artists had such a lovely little girl to paint. I especially love the one with the two sisters :)
So sweet. Those pictures are beautiful.
Mindi
Libbi's mom
I'm thinking of you today and woke up with Gracie in my thoughts. Love you guys so much. Love her even more! May today be a sweet day of remembrance with your family. I'll call you tomorrow.
Leslie
I think of you often. I knew this day was coming up and I couldn't quit thinking of you. I've followed your story for a while now. Gracie has touched me and so many people. I hope you can find some comfort today knowing she's with our loving Father. God bless you and your family!
Christie
TX
Beautiful pictures! What a pricless gift to have. Thinking of you and your little Angel today.
Beautiful pictures! She touched so many people. I think of her example often.
Beautiful.
I'm thinking of you and your family on this day.
Gracie is truly God's gift, thank you for sharing with us. She has brought out the best in people.
Those paintings are beautiful. I love her eyebrows!
Tom, Michele, Max, Taylor, and Callie. We love you.
Gracie, we miss you
Grandpa and Grandma
Thinking of Gracie Girl today. I can't imagine how much you miss her. Thoughts and prayers sent your way.
Amy
Michele,
You are a beautiful girl and writer. Thank you for being such a great example to your Mom and family.
We miss our sweet granddaughter. Gary and I cried together this morning over your beautiful blog. This has been a tough week reliving the past.
Thank you to our sweet family and freinds for all your love and support. Thank you to the wonderful people who have helped my daughter and family built precious memories and keepsakes of their angel girl-Gracie Jean. We will always remember your kindness.
Love,
Mom
These are simply beautiful portraits. We will always remember and love this little girl.
Alli, Kyle, and Grant
These are simply beautiful portraits. We will always remember and love this little girl.
Alli, Kyle, and Grant
So beautiful. That first year anniversary is so hard! Reliving all of the moments of the previous year is so difficult. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.
Beautiful artwork! Gracie's story means so much more to me now that I have a little one of my own. You are an amazing woman. Thanks for the spiritual updates. I love when I read these updates at work. Gives me the spiritual lift that I need!
"we truly could not have gotten through this experience without the love and support from all of our family, friends and blogging friends!"
It really does make a difference to have a solid support system. I don't know why God doesn't make sure every person who must bury a child or children doesn't have that, and why it is that the more someone goes through, the more those in their lives retreat. I haven't had anyone ever do any of the kind things you mentioned being done for your family, and yet I can see how all those kind things could really help you to endure this life even without Gracie here. It's amazing what even strangers can do to help, and you must be so grateful to also have close friends and family who haven't abandoned you. You've made it one year closer to being with Gracie again. I hope all the support you have continues. It sounds like it has, but I hope everyone in your life will remember that even if it isn't as fresh or isn't as upsetting as it seemed a year ago, that there will still be times to reach out and give support and love. To always remember Gracie.
I don't know you...but I'm thinking of you today. Gracie's pictures are adorable.
Thinking of you today. I don't know any of you, but your sweet girl and her story really touched my life. Thank you for sharing her story with all of us. Thank you for sharing your testimony and strength and faith.
Beautiful, beautiful portraits of your baby.
Hugs.
Kristin
Michele,
We remember. We remember Gracie. We rememeber you. We remember her brave brothers and sister. We remember the words of her loving daddy. We remember. Everyday.
Please don't ever feel like life has moved past Gracie. She has changed so many, in so many ways. I keep her picture on a magnet board in McKay's room. It reminds me that only by the grace of God go we. Our lives, all of our lives, are in His hands and no other. I believe He keeps an extra special watch on your broken heart.
We don't see each other enough or talk often, but please know how much you are loved and admired. Everyday.
xo,
Mindi and McKay
My thoughts are with you and your precious family today.
ahh.... How precious! What treasures those paintings are. Hope you are well. You are amazing!
XO
Jen (your friend in Texas)
When I woke up this morning, one of my first thoughts was of your Sweet Gracie. I continue to keep your family in my thoughts and prayers...thank you so much for continuing to share Gracie with us; the portraits are just beautiful.
What beautiful pictures and drawings of a simply beautiful and sweet girl. I am still so sorry for your loss. I don't post often but you are in my thoughts.
I'm thinking about you and your family today too. I know it has been a hard year...missing your girl. The portraits are gorgeous, I love them. What a treasure! Thanks for sharing your private thoughts on your public blog!
Love you Michele. ♥
Oh, she is so beautiful. I'm glad you have so many things to remember her by. We love you and love her. We miss our niece and miss what might have been. We love you guys! We'll go pay her a little visit today... thinking of you today, and always.
Tiff
What a sweet tribute! Those portraits are beautiful! I was at Paul's concert but did not see her portrait, I'm glad you shared it here. I still have you in my thoughts and prayers, and can't listen to Gracie's theme without crying. Thank you very much for sharing your sweet Gracie.
Thinking of you guys today :) XO
- Lisa
Thinking of you all today!! I am amazed at the talent of so many artists. Gracie.. we miss you.
Love that newest paining. We need a copy.
We sure miss her. Nick, Emmie and I had a good visit with her today.
I love all the portraits, but I especially love "the sisters" it is amazing and a perfect likeness of little Callie's sweet profile.
Beautiful little Gracie is forever etched in our hearts.
Praying for your families peace and comfort today and always.
Beautiful portraits...
Ah Michele, she is so precious and so are your words, as they always have been. The pictures are beautiful. Grandpa has been up there today and we'll be up again tonight for a visit ... We miss her dearly too and send our love to you, Tom and the kids. Hope you can feel everyone's love ... not just today but always.
love,
ARlene
What a perfect little sweetheart you have. I can't imagine how you feel, it makes my heart ache just thinking about it. Thank you for sharing her and your faith with us. Love ya!
She is such a blessing. Your baby girl is beautiful, I was in bed 8 the day Gracie died and I know how devastated the staff was. Even months after, nurses would still cry as we talked about sweet Gracie. She touched so many people in her short time here. Her memory will always be honored in the hearts of those who knew of her.
Staci (angel Bridger's mom)
I am so touched by your beautiful family. I am simply amazed by your faith and courage. Thank you for inspiring me to want to be a better person, a better mother. God bless you until you hold your precious little one again. What a sweet reunion that will be! Love to your family...
Michele and Tom
I only wish I could write as eloquently as you do! Such beautiful and inspiring words, I am still in tears. I so remember that one year anniversary of loosing a child. You have shared so much and so many have been so uplifted. These portraits are so incredible and will keep you going for years to come. Danny's elementary class upon 6th grade graduation had his portrait painted and surprised us with it at the school program. Talk about uncontrolled bawling. It was beautiful and these are so special and will help so much to get through this earthly experience until you hold her again in your arms and get to raise her there! I am told that is even better then here. Angel Gracie we love and miss you! I think Angel Danny must be with her today along with her Great-Grandpas/mas.
Love ya - Aunt Annette
Beautiful post for a beautiful baby girl...Gracie, you are remembered & your amazing family is held so closely to our hearts!
Michele, her portraits just melt my heart! I especially love the sisters together...goodness, I remember that picture like it was yesterday. At times it feels like it was and at other times it feels a lifetime away, doesn't it?
Praying you through this sacred day...
Thank you for sharing your sweet Gracie Girl with us again. I could never get enough of those sweet cheeks!
All our love~ Rebecca
Michele,
What a beautiful tribute to your angel. I think about you and little Gracie and your family all the time.
She truly touched so many lives! What a wonderful little angel to have.
I was thinking of little gracie today, as i do often. I love all those beautiful portaits. Thinking of you and your family.
Thanks for sharing! The talents of these artists are amazing! they have done beautiful and inspired work!
I think of your Gracie so often, and especially thought yesterday of how difficult that was for you one year ago. Those drawings of her are beautiful. Always praying for you family.
A blog reader,
Jill
Your family is in my heart today... I am wishing you peace.
I am looking forward to meeting you someday soon, my mom, Kathy Jensen, has told me such wonderful things about your family. As I've said before, your story has touched my heart and changed me as a mother forever. Thank you for your courage, faith, and undying love and determination to your family. It's inspiring.
love, Kierstin Laws
Thinking of you today and always! So many memories, so little time. Gracie will always hold a piece of Teagan's heart, and that's saying a lot considering he only has half!
HEART HUGS
my husband and i just LOVED the ending to Gracie's Theme at the concert, it was truly breathtaking! we like to think of it as the point in which you all are reunited with you're sweet Gracie Girl in heaven...with the beautiful intensity of the playing during those final moments, we just couldn't think it meant anything less awesome!!! i too have thought much of you and your sweet baby these past few weeks...she has not and NEVER will be forgotten!
Michele, I still think of you and your family often. I'm sure you were able to celebrate sweet Gracie's life yesterday and hope you found much peace and comfort. She has touched so many.
Much love to you, Gledhill Family.
I've been thinking about you guys today and your sweet little Gracie...hope today was special in it's own little way. We think of her often and what a blessing she was to so many. Thanks for sharing her. (I have had it with the weather, but for Gracie--bring on the rain:)XOXO
I've been thinking about you guys today and your sweet little Gracie...hope today was special in it's own little way. We think of her often and what a blessing she was to so many. Thanks for sharing her. (I have had it with the weather, but for Gracie--bring on the rain:)XOXO
Thinking of you!
Thank you for sharing these thoughts! I still cry everytime I think about your little angel. What an example you and your family have been to all of us 'blogging friends'. Thank you again, for sharing.
Love love love the portraits!
Tam
You are such an amazing family! Your blog always seems to capture exactly what it feels like to lose someone close to you!
You have been in my thoughts all week. That year mark is so hard. You are in our prayers!
Sweet Gracie. It's so hard to believe it's been a year that she's been gone. My heart aches for you and I'm sending prayers your way...may happy memories with your sweet girl help ease the pain you're feeling at this anniversary.
It was so great meeting you at Paul's concert. Thanks for taking the pictures and for chatting a minute with me. I felt a little "star struck" meeting both you and Paul! I'm a nerd, I know. Anyway, you're just as kind and beautiful in person as you've been through the blog :)
Take care & heart hugs!
Love,
Katie from Washington
(Maddie's mom, HRHS)
Beautifully said Michele! Thanks for sharing the portraits of her and for sharing your emotions about losing her and going on without her. You are such an amazing person!!!!!
Proof that angels live among us. Thank you for continuing to share your story with all of us.
Hi, I know I've never met you (although your husband baptized my husband!) but I follow your blog regularly and I wanted to tell you how much you give me perspective and inspire me. I'm afraid if I was in your shoes I would be angry and it would be difficult for me to keep the faith, I think you're pretty incredible and I appreciate your example.
What thoughtful people! When we had our Collin sealed to us, we were given the most beautiful sketch of our little earthly family with our beautiful angels looking over us. Hope your angel day way bearable. I cannot believe it has already been a year.
What beautiful portraits. Thinking of you these past couple of weeks!!
This was a beautiful post that touched my heart. Gracie has always remained within my heart & I think of her and your family often. I'm not one of those who has sent you goodies, cards or made you gifts, but your sweet Gracie has never left my heart. She will always remain. I pray for your family often-always will. To this day, I am still unsure as to why your story has touched my heart so deeply, but I do know I am a better person because of your sweet Gracie. My heart is forever changed by her spirit & those of your family.
Thank you for sharing a part of your precious life with us Gracie. You are loved!
Michele, Oh how I miss GG for you and your family! I've cried as I've read this post a few times now......always such beautiful writing that tugs at my heart strings!!! What amazing and special gifts you have been given ...... these portraits are beautiful. Gracie and your family will always hold a special place in my heart. I will pray for special comfort to be with you this month as her birthday approaches as well.
Dear Michele, it was on the day that your husband wrote "Goodnight Gracie" that I found your blog. I spent days reading the previous posts about your precious Gracie and your beautiful family. I can't believe a year has already passed. I cried many tears reading about your GG.
On April 9th, my Melissa would have been 20 years old had she lived. It seems like a lifetime ago that I held her yet my emotions can be so raw sometimes it seems like she died so recently.
I hope that our sweet angels have met in Heaven and are having a wonderful time playing.
My thoughts and prayers continue for your family,
Colleen Howard
Just thought I would like you to know I've been following you blogg after I heard about GG from another Heart mommy.
If at anytime you would like to follow on mine it's www.faithalwaysandforever.blogspot.com
Jackie Powell
Post a Comment