Sunday, October 3, 2010

Celebration of Life Monument

Gracie, January 18, 2009

I had a dream the other night that I was in a room with Gracie and she was alive. She looked just like she did when we had her. I knew in my heart that it wasn't really true but held her as tight as I could and cried. Then it was as if I went from room to room and one minute she was alive and with me and the other minute she wasn't. I just remember waking up feeling like I had cried all night long but luckily, it was only in my dream. I was crying with happiness when I was with her and holding her and then crying in sadness when I knew she had passed away. Luckily, I don't have dreams like this very often because they are too draining. It has been 19 months since Gracie passed away. Time is flying by.

After all these months, we have another wonderful way to remember/honor her with the Celebration of Life monument. My husband and I stopped by to see the monument on our wedding anniversary a couple weeks ago. It is located in downtown Salt Lake City, and is a place to honor organ donors. (Gracie was not only an organ donor recipient, she was an organ donor herself after she passed away) We knew Gracie's name had been added but had been unable to go see it until then. When we saw the endless list of names, we knew finding Gracie's name would be like finding a needle in a haystack. There were hundreds of names etched in the wavy glass monument that seemed to go on forever.

I was determined to find it. I wasn't going to leave until I did. I went through name by name and surprisingly, found it quite quickly. The names are not in any particular order which is why it made it a challenge to find.

When I finally found it, I thought it was so perfect that her name is located right next to the statue of a mom holding her little girl up in the air. A little girl that looks to be how old Gracie would be right now. Bittersweet.




We love and miss Gracie every day but have a peace in our family that we will be with her again. We are so grateful for organ donation and are grateful for all of our other heart friends whose lives have been saved by a selfless organ donor and their family. Donate to Life!! :)

28 comments:

Brooke said...

How neat!! That monument is amazing I am sure. That statue looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing the pics. I still think about Gracie and am so grateful for this update!

Donna said...

I agree with Brooke...what a wonderful celebration of life...AND a good reminder to all that organ donation is so important! Your post tugs at my heartstrings for your feelings and dreams. Praying for peace for you and your family.

Carl & Mickie Yeates said...

I have admired you from afar for quite some time. I am related to Avery Milne whose daughter Bela has HLHS. I have read your story and have shed tears with you silently. I lost my first granddaught two years ago. She was a still born baby. Thank you for your strong spirit and your sweet messages. Life is good and the next life will be even better.

Mickie Yeates

Lindsay Dean said...

How wonderful, Michelle! God bless those who built the monument in honor of all the donors in the area. I think about your sweet Gracie alot. Thank you for sharing.
Love, Suzie

PS Is Mindy Gledhill (the singer) any relation? If you haven't heard the song yet, you should.....incredible! So appropriate for our heart babies ;-) "All about your heart" is the title. ;-)

kdance10 said...

How beautiful!! That is so neat.

jen said...

How amazing and beautiful is that statue?! Perfect way to honor Gracie and organ donation. Very cool. I sure do love Gracie.

The Brannon Family said...

I am all teared up again. My heart aches to think of your loss and I am strengthened by your courage. I know you have a special angel watching over you all. I am so greateful for the peace you all have. I am sure you miss her everyday!

Lots of love!

The B Family said...

Love reading your words & hearing from your heart! The monument is perfect...so often we think wonder how old Annabelle is in Heaven. Wyatt thinks she exactly as she would be on Earth...I am not sure...I waiver between her still being months old to somewhere in between. It doesn't matter, really. But, I do envision us both being able to throw our girls into the wind & catch them as they laugh contagiously...one day soon. Think of you and your sweet Gracie often!

Love to you in this changing season...reminding us that all must die to truly live~ Rebecca

The B Family said...

Love reading your words & hearing from your heart! The monument is perfect...so often we think wonder how old Annabelle is in Heaven. Wyatt thinks she exactly as she would be on Earth...I am not sure...I waiver between her still being months old to somewhere in between. It doesn't matter, really. But, I do envision us both being able to throw our girls into the wind & catch them as they laugh contagiously...one day soon. Think of you and your sweet Gracie often!

Love to you in this changing season...reminding us that all must die to truly live~ Rebecca

likeschocolate said...

Love hearing from you, and am glad that Gracie will always be remembered on this monument. Too bad your other blog is not open. WOuld love to see how much your other children have grown. Happy Fall!

Colleen said...

What a beautiful place to go to for peace and serenity. I think of you often and little Gracie. I pray that the intense pain is felt a little less often and the happy thoughts more. I know it must bring some comfort to you knowing that your choice to share Gracie's organs helped others and that she lives on, just in a different way than you had hoped. I so wish I could have donated Melissa's organs but a heart defect and the Group B Strep that ravaged her little body made that impossible.

Take care and know there are people out here still praying for you and your family.

Sincerely,
Colleen

Gleason's said...

Think about you guys all the time. That was a very sweet post, you are amazing and give me strength.

Natalie said...

I love the monument and that statue! I think about Gracie a lot and am grateful for her life and what she taught our family! I don't know how you do it Michele, but you amaze me. Like mother, like daughter!

Matchbox Mom said...

I love this! Thank you for sharing! We still keep you and your family in our thoughts and daily prayers. We also know that families are forever!

Shauna said...

I am so glad she is on the monument. They also put the names of those who donate their bodies to science. My dads name is on there for donating his body. It is a wonderful monument!!!

Jan's Blog said...

I can hardly believe it's been 19 months. And what a heart breaking dream. She is such a darling doll baby and I'm sure you can't wait to see her again. I look forward to meeting her. Thanks for continuing to share the journey with us.

Unknown said...

What a sweet tribute and the monument looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing. We too keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

♥Stef said...

So neat! I will have to make sure to see it someday. We sure do miss her!

susan said...

I want to go see the monument--couldn't help but think of Gracie when I saw you and Tom in the temple 3 weeks ago--I know families are forever and we love you so much!

ScottNLili said...

I hope you don't mind my commenting on your post, but I found your blog through Jaxsons Fight, and I just wanted to tell you that I think you are an amazing woman for being so strong. I hope your days continue to get easier, but you are able to hold on to your precious little girl and have her with you in your heart at every moment. Thank you for letting strangers hear your story, I feel it gives me the chance to grow, and be a better person.
-best wishes,
Lili Earl
S. Jordan Utah

Kimmie said...

awesome! i still think of little gracie often. i'm so happy you feel "peace" in your family.

Its Time to Live said...

Families are Forever! Keep that in your heart and faith. Thanks for your strength.

Anonymous said...

Your blog never fails in bringing tears in my eyes. Just wanted to check in & say hello. You're so amazing Michele. I love seeing any & all new pictures you choose to share of Gracie. Miss you guys. Hope you are all doing ok.

Summer said...

Your dream makes me sad, but am certainly glad that is not a frequent happening. Your strength continues to amaze me Michele and I think of you and Gracie all the time. I did not know about that monument. I am so glad they honor your Gigi as well as so many others who have donated their organs to save lives. I will forever be grateful to Mason's donor!!

It was so good to run into you last weekend! Take care and hope to see you again soon!

Lots of Love!

cici said...

Gracie may be gone, but she will never be forgotten!
Sweet Angel

Smilen Champ said...

Hi
My name is Jenna and I came across your site. Gracie is an amazing angel and hero in heaven like she was on earth. She may not be here on earth but she is still touching lives.
I was born with a rare life threatening disease. http://www.miraclechamp.webs.com

Amy T said...

Hi Gledhills,

A quick note from a heart family on the East Coast. You don't know us, but your family's story and Gracie's life have touched us and continue to touch us over the years. I just chose a Paul Cardall playlist on an online music service while I was working and Gracie's song came on and I thought I'd send you a quick note that I was thinking of your beautiful daughter and the eternal nature of families. Many blessings to all of you.

آدم said...

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالرياض
شركة مكافحة الصراصير بالرياض
شركة مكافحة الفئران بالرياض
شركة مكافحة البق بالرياض
شركة مكافحة النمل الاسود بالرياض
شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض