Sunday, August 24, 2008

Gracie's Torture Chamber

Okay, so it's really not a torture chamber but that was the first thing that came to mind when I was looking at this picture. Kids on the Move came to the house on Friday and gave me this little get up to put Gracie in everyday. It is supposed to help her with her head control and strengthen her trunk muscles. She is still not holding her head up on her own and continues to dislike being held. This new 'chair' helps her to not arch her head backwards and helps her sit up straight and hold her head up. I put her in it maybe 15 minutes a day. We'll see if it helps her improve.

Remember how I said that Gracie had been acting grumpy for a couple of weeks and that her dirty diapers were a lot more frequent? Well, as mentioned in my post before last, I asked the nurse at cardiology if it could be teething and she said 'no, a lot of things get blamed on teething'. Well, guess what? Gracie cut her first tooth yesterday!! And I'm sure her next one is on it's way! I remember that my babies are sometimes not very fun for their first year because they are constantly teething. Some mom's get lucky with their one year olds only having a couple teeth by their first birthday, my babies have 12 teeth by age one.....I'm not kidding! So add cranky heart baby with constant teething and that is a scary combo!

I gave Gracie her first taste of rice cereal today. I mixed it into her milk to a very thin consistency. While giving her a bath, I dipped her baby toothbrush (the kind that fits your finger like a glove) and scooped a little bit in her mouth. She chews on the toothbrush and gets the residual liquid and kind of swallows it down once enough pools in her mouth. She didn't seem to love it or hate it. I took that as a good sign.

We have a visit with cardiology tomorrow, we will see if they have anything new to say. Other than Gracie's crumpiness, she seems to be doing well still. Every time I check her saturation levels, they are in the high 70's. And they want her to be between 75-85 so I guess we are ok still. Thanks to everyone for all of your support. We are just trying to enjoy our time at home until we go back for round two in a couple months.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

So fun for Gracie to get a different view of the world (although she may not appreciate it :). Tolerating the cereal sounds like a good sign! She may become a good eater for you yet!

Andrea said...

In regards to the sitting up issue, has anyone suggested a BUMBO chair? It really helped us with Andrew when he was strengthening those core muscles and his head control...

Andrea Mathis
Andrew's mom

♥Stef said...

I just had to laugh when I saw "the chair". I can just picture her crying in it. It doesn't look to comfy. Poor Geeg. She has a tough little life. I forgot she was going to get teeth just like a regular baby, she still seems unreal. Does that make sense??? Glad her stats are good, hopefully round two will be far off....

shana said...

Poor baby, at first glance I thought you had put her in the corner! I can't believe she cut her first tooth, I don't know why I am suprised, she is a month or two later than your other kids isn't she? Hope things go well at the Dr. tomorrow, we'll be thinking of you.
XOXOX

The Simmons Family said...

That picture cracks me up... we had a box contraption made up! So.. Owen never lifted up his head during tummytime, never tries to roll over...and today he sat by himself! You just never know, these heart babies are stubborn!

I'm so thrilled to hear that she didn't hate the baby cereal!!!

Good luck at cardiology tomorrow!!

Andrea

Brooke said...

Poor baby! What a rough life. :) Glad that she is teething so that explains her discomfort. Hope things go well at the doc. Hang in there Gracie!

Connie and Gary said...

I am so glad we will have her on Thursday for awhile since she is never grumpy with her grandpa....Leave the torture chamber home. Since she has a tooth I think a small steak may be in order for her dinner.
Gary

jen said...

I can't believe she has a tooth already! Kody doesn't have any yet & he's 11 months. Crazy.

Marci said...

Wow! Teething already? And that chair looks miserable! Poor Gracie - but hopefully it will help! She is such a little cutie.

Melissa said...

Poor baby! I hope it works! We pray for her (and you) every day and hope things progress! Thank you for th eupdate!

Kara said...

What a trooper she is! And you! Keep enjoying her.

Leslie said...

Other than a bed of needles, can there be anything on earth that looks more uncomfortable than that "chair?" Sweet baby girl. Huge news with the baby cereal and first tooth! Forget trying to get her to swallow her milk. If she's a chewer and anything like you, a double fudge brownie will get her to eat!

The Gatherum Clan! said...

Who designed that?! So sad to see her in that. But, it's worth the try, right?! And, about the diapers--my kids all got really bad diapers and butts when they were teething! I didn't get much sleep, especially with Matt. Good luck! :) Glad some things are going well!