Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Benefit Concert For Paul Cardall

This is a picture of Paul Cardall and his darling wife Lynnette and their cutie pie Eden. He is the musician that is playing all of the instrumental music on my blog. I had his music playing for Gracie 24 hours a day for the last two weeks of her life. It was on when she passed away. That particular CD of primary songs will always be 'Gracie' to me when I hear them. I mentioned him in an earlier post, he has been waiting for heart transplant himself for over 200 days!!

When we knew that Gracie wasn't going to make it, my step-dad Gary told me that he had contacted Paul (without me knowing!) and asked if he would play at Gracie's funeral. He told me that he had said he would love to. I can't really describe the feeling I had when I heard that. It was just too nice, too much to take in. A small light in the middle of the sadness we were feeling at the time. I had not ever met Paul before the funeral. For someone to agree to play at a funeral of a person or family they never met, overwhelmed me. Paul had not played for anyone in public for over a year because of his health issues and he was going to come play for our Gracie. I was more than humbled.

He played 'I Am A Child Of God' and I was overcome with emotion. That song IS our girl. I felt like she was there with us. It was such a beautiful, perfect, addition to her service. He also played the music as we were walking out of the church with Gracie's casket. I told Tom that I didn't want to leave! I wanted to stay and listen to him play.

So, that brings me to the other reason for my post. Some of Paul's musician friends are having a benefit concert for him on MONDAY, APRIL 6TH. (By the way, we have been contacted by the director of the benefit concert and they want one of the musicians to sing a song in tribute to Gracie along with a slide show of her!!! Can you believe how thoughtful???) So don't miss it, it should be a great night!

I copied the following from the benefit website:

Kurt Bestor, Peter Breinholt, and Ryan Shupe and the Rubberband, along with other talented artists will perform a benefit concert for Cardall on Monday, April 6 at Cottonwood High School. The “Living for Eden Concert,” so named in honor of Cardall’s 3-year-old daughter, will get underway at 7:30 p.m. A silent auction will precede the concert beginning at 6:30 p.m.

“It is a rare opportunity to see these three popular artists on a single stage,” said Jeremy Barron of the Baron Group, another friend of Cardall’s who is producing the concert. “I have produced a lot of concerts, some of which have been benefits. Never has a concert hit so closely to home as this benefit concert. Paul has helped a lot of people through his music, benefit events and work with other musicians. I think I can speak for all of us involved when I say that we are honored and excited to help one of our own."

Cardall, who was born 35 years ago with a severe congenital heart defect, has been on the waiting list for a heart transplant since last August. He has been limited in his ability to support his family and to meet escalating medical expenses during his prolonged illness. Seeing their friend’s condition, Cardall’s colleagues decided to do what they do best – make music and use their talents to benefit Paul, his wife Lynnette and their daughter Eden.

“Each of us wanted to do something to benefit Paul,” said Peter Breinholt. “Coming together as we are is our way of paying tribute to, as well as helping, one of our own. A hundred percent of the proceeds will go to help Paul with his mounting expenses.”

"I’ve known Paul for many years,” said Ryan Shupe, “and we are honored and excited to help him in his time of need, not to mention we get to share the stage with some other incredible musicians. It’s going to be a great night!"

Tickets for the concert are available online at http://www.livingforeden.com/ beginning Wednesday, March 11th and they can also be purchased at the door the day of the concert. The cost will be $12.00 per person, while those buying groups of five or more tickets can get them at $10.00 each.

38 comments:

Sam and Lacey said...

I have written before and I wish I could be there. I also love the song I am a child of god it is the song I sang to my sweet baby Ava as she passed from this world. I just wanted to tell you that I have been thinking of your family for the last week. I am so sorry for your loss. Words could never describe how I am feeling for you. THANK YOU for posting the words that are changed to I am a Child of god below. I LOVE them. Thanks so much. I know that was my tender mercy today. A way that my sweet Ava is saying that she is watching over me. Thank you.

The Simmons Family said...

Oh how I wish we lived closer than 12 hours away. I would be there in a instant! Paul's story, courage and strength are inspiting. I love that they chose to make a tribute to Gracie at the benefit concert as well. AMAZING!!

I wish I could be there.

PRAYERS and HUGS.

Andrea

♥Stef said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meg said...

That truly is amazing that someone who didn't know you guys would without question play at Gracie's funeral for you. It truly is humbling to be able to see the kindness in people.

Karm said...

I just purchased tickets and posted links on my blog and facebook page. I am very excited to see the special tribute for Gracie. Can't wait :)!!!!

Melissa said...

I wish I didn't live in Texas. I would love to come support this amazing man. I am overwhelmed by your strength and courage. I pray for you and your family and for sweet gracie everyday. You will always have the most darling angel on your shoulder.

Kimmie said...

Im already there! Already spreading the word on my blog too!He has been a favorite of mine for years, and has meant so much in our HLHS journey of almost 8 years now.
You don't know me, but your Gracie girl has touched my heart so deeply, in a way I could never decribe! I only live minutes from your sweet family, so I felt compelled to honor your darling sweetheart by attending her funeral. I slipped into the back row and was so touched to hear the words and music presented. Thank you for sharing your daughter with all of us, as well as your deepest emotions and thoughts. I was estatic to see Paul in the front row, and then to hear him play. What a treasure you will always have of that memorable event. Good luck with the long, hard days ahead. I cannot stop thinking about you...may the healing and comforting power of the Spirit be with you always.

♥Stef said...

Let me try this again...
We are totally there!!! It's the LEAST we can do for Paul and his family.

Marilyn said...

The funeral was beautiful, Michelle. Gracie looked like an angel.
Every part of the funeral was special. Your sweet sister Stephanie really captured Gracie's spirit. I loved the way Paul Cardall played the piano. It was exquisite. (I have told Natalie that I want to hear her play the piece as well. She was honored to be asked as a backup.)

Jeanne said...

I thought of you all day today knowing how empty your day would feel with the kids back in school and Gracie passing. Thanks for posting about this concert. It looks awesome. I went to Israel with Peter Breinholt and have been a fan ever since. Gracie's funeral was amazing. Everyone did a wonderful job and her sweet spirit was definately felt. Your continually in my prayers.

lundgrenville said...

Another sweet and tender post. Somehow I knew in my heart that Paul had played at your sweet Gracies funeral. I dont know how I knew, but I did. I have put his music on my blog...
The music touches my heart so deeply in a way that I have never felt before. His music is much like music I would imagine would come from the heavens.
Our prayers remain for all of you.
Gracie sure is a sweet little Angel..and Paul is an Angel on earth changing lives daily, just like Gracie is in the heavens.
Lots of love and hugs-
Goodnight Gracie! Goodnight!

Marci said...

I am so excited about this concert! (good things always happen on my birthday) ;) Robb had actually found this information online today, and was so excited to share it with me. And we are so thrilled by the fact that there will be a Gracie tribute. Another great opportunity to share her sweet story! We will definitely plan on going. We are such huge fans of Paul and his music now, thanks to you and your blog. And we cannot get over how special it was to hear him play at the funeral. It was such a beautiful funeral, and his music was so perfect.

Stacy said...

I continue to be amazed by your spirit and strength, Michele. I was warmed to hear of the tribute to Gracie at the concert. Her work continues to be done here on Earth, as we know she is brightly shining in Heaven. For those of us that live too far away to attend the concert, do you know if there is a way to donate to the benefit without buying a ticket? Would love to give, as his music has touched my life through Gracie's blog.
Thinking and praying of you each and every day! God bless,

Kami said...

When my son died I was searching for comfort music and also some light music to play during the services because it was so private and last minute we only had my mom to play the piano and I didn't want to make her do that all the time. So we downloaded his primary songs from itunes and played them. They are so beautiful. To me that is my Kooper's music that I play all the time. It is my comfort music.

That is so neat that they are dedicating a song to her and having the slideshow.

Kami

laurel said...

HOw wonderful! My son follows Paul's blog. He can see himself in Paul's shoes at that age, yet is so excited to know he could have a wife and child someday. Thanks for sharing this with us. Our family will be there.

Stephanie said...

I am so excited about this benefit concert! Paul seems like an amazing person. It will be a special night. What an honor to have a special song for Gracie! I can hardly believe how nice people are. It's amazing how people come together to lift each other up and lighten each other's burdens.

Brooke said...

Oh how exciting!! I am going to talk to my hubby and family and see if we can get a group together to come down. I am sure it will be an amazing night!

Leslie said...

I just bought my tickets and can't wait to go! What an amazing man Paul is. He and his family have been in my constant thoughts and prayers for weeks now. It was an honor to hear him play at Gracie's funeral. It will be an honor to be a part of this special tribute to him...and adding Gracie to the program is certainly the perfect icing on the cake.

Matchbox Mom said...

I wish I could go...maybe i'll figure out a way to! That would be an AWESOME concert!

Mommy2QTPies said...

I absolutely LOVE the song Child of God! Is it possible to purchase a CD of Paul's songs? I would love to know! Still praying and thinking of you from Indiana...

Danyele Easterhaus said...

amazing...and how wonderful that he blessed you with such great love. i pray that the benefit concert iwll be fantastic!

Cardalls said...

I am Paul's sister-in-law and yes you can buy Paul's music at paulcardall.com. I am so sorry about your sweet baby, May God's love surround you!

kdance10 said...

I'm so excited me and some friends wiil be attending. Can't wait:) I hope your family is doing okay today. Your in our prayers

The Dance Family

Diana said...

I got chills reading this..what a wonderful man to come play for Gracie!! We are saying prayers for him and his family.

Katy said...

For those of us not in the community, the state or even the region - are his cd's available for purchase. The music is very nice and I would happily add it to my collection.

What an awesome gift he gave you and your family!

~Kate

Jen said...

I hope and pray you will feel love and support as you go on living without your sweet baby girl to hold on to. I am a friend of Paul Cardell's wife and linked to your blog from his. I think I read the whole blog in one night and I am so touched by her sweet life. Your family is so loved.

Andrea said...

I have also felt the sweet spirit through Paul's CD's. The primary one is the one I feel my Wyatt the most. I had no idea Paul had a heart problem. He will be in my thoughts and prayers. I wish I could attend this concert. I would love to see all the beautiful pictures of your sweet Gracie along with beautiful music. I will be forever grateful for Paul's sweet music that has touched my greiving heart.
Continually thinking and praying for you.
Love,
Andrea
Wyatt's mommy

wife.mom.nurse said...

My heart is touched. What a beautiful man...with a fragile heart, but clearly made of gold.

That he would go out of his way for your family to honor your precious Gracie...amazing.

I am praying for you and your family. May you feel the Lord's tender comfort. I see that He has already been doing this in tangible ways.

Praying for Paul too.

God bless.

Julie

Karm said...

QUESTION? Is there a way to donate for those who can't attend the concert? I know some who would love to!
Thanks,
Karmen

Cardalls said...

Go to livingforeden.com and there is a spot at the bottom of the home page that says, "Can't attend, but still want to help?" and there is an email to go to.

Natalie said...

We are all signed up to go. Marci always gets all the cool stuff on her birthday...What's up with that? It will be a great night!!!
Nat

Jodi said...

Thinking of and praying for you and your family. Gracie is a beautiful girl, who touched the hearts of many.

leslie s said...

My heart goes out to you! What a beautiful girl Gracie is...It is touching to hear your story.

I know this concert will be amazing!! I attended BYU Jerusalem with Peter!! Wish I could come down and go to it!!

........ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
plaidspolitics said...

I saw in the news that Paul will be getting his heart. We've been going to Shupe/Breinholt concerts for nearly a decade and a half now, so will have to definitely see if we can arrange to be at this one. How sweet for them to honor your little Gracie. I hadn't known too much about Paul or his family. His little girl's name and your post brought back our time in the hospital with Bridget. I first heard the music of David Nevue because one of the night nurses would turn on the music channel. There were a few songs I found, but the one that kept going through my mind after she died was "Eden Again". I wrote about it just after Bridget died, in a post I titled "Eden sank to grief": Eden Again. I heard it at the hospital as I watched as my sweet baby girl was dying. I wanted a miracle, but it is Eden Again. It is grief. We laid her body to rest yesterday, and now wait through this moment until we can embrace her again. Shrinking from the bitter cup, sinking to grief. Eden Again. The beautiful music of David Nevue, his song "Eden Again", gives a gentle comfort. I listened for the first time to this song as my daughter lay before me, dying. How it touched my heart, and now it lingers in my memory. Just like my little girl. How she took such hold of my heart, and how desperately I wish I could have her here with me now.

The weird thing is that the last post I had written before writing that was for Dominic's birthday. It was about the poem "Nothing Gold Can Stay".

It is so strange to me how your blog seems so parallel to me. It seems it is no coincidence I found it just as Gracie's day came to sunset. And I believe there will be a day come when we will have our sunrise. On resurrection morning, we will embrace our little ones again, won't we? And perhaps we will be neighbors as we bask in the joy of rearing them in a much grander place than this world is now, even like Eden!

annilee said...

I was fortunate enough to stumble across your blog today. As I read about your sweet Gracie, I am humbled and saddened for your family. I feel the spirit in your words, and I loved the music that is playing. I too am an LDS mother who lost my dear sweet Tate 11 years ago. Although his story was different and we only had him for a few hours! But I know your pain in so many ways, and your family will be in our family's prayers. It has been many years, and we have seen so many miracles and blessings because of our great loss! We adopted our daughter only a year after Tate's passing, and then later had a son. Time does help heal, and I feel my angel baby with me on a daily basis! Our heart aches for your family and we wish you much peace and comfort at this time!

Alisha said...

What a wonderful man and musician. I love the instrumental music on here. I will pray he gets his heart!

Rummfor5 said...

I believe that I am in Gracie's grandmother's ward (here in Nampa, ID).
We have been praying for her, and for you all.
Even with the gospel, these things are so very difficult.
Our prayer is that you will have your own hearts mended and bound by the Lord and feel the eternal hope of your family. One day to be with your Gracie girl again.
MY prayers are with you. I know how fast the time you had with your little angel went by. God be with you all, til you meet again.