Max and Ellie, Abbey and Brooklyn, Sadie
Ellie and I.........Taylor........my sil Tiffany, my sis Stephanie and me...........a picture of our little familyMy family met us at Gracie's grave in the evening. It was perfect weather which made it the most enjoyable time we have had so far at her grave. We brought yellow, white and orange balloons to let off (and some pink 'Happy Birthday' ones that were dropped off by our friends the Roberts, thanks you guys!!). The colors were in line with our little 'You Are My Sunshine' theme. When we got there, there were already several cute little notes, flowers, gifts and balloons from our family and friends. How very nice that was.
We went to pizza afterwards and then back to my house for cupcakes and ice cream. The kids all had a great time. (There are 10 kids in all between me, my sister and sister-in-law's kids) We (or should I say I) was spoiled all day with visitors at my door bringing gifts for us because of Gracie's birthday. Seriously, my friends and family are truly some of the best people in the world. I am SO lucky to have them in my life. I got jewelry, a rose tree, balloons, some scrapbook supplies, a quilt, books for the kids, treats, willow tree figurines, and flowers. I felt like it was MY birthday!!! Those thoughts and gestures definitely made me feel some happiness on a difficult day. (I also want to say that we are overwhelmed and so appreciative of all the wonderful, wonderful, gifts, flowers and cards that we have received since her passing.......truly overwhelmed by the generosity of our wonderful friends, family and blog friends!!)
There was one more important gift that we received for Gracie's birthday. It is the beautiful song added to my playlist titled 'Gracie's Theme'. Paul Cardall wrote that song for Gracie!!!! He told us that it is expected to come out on a CD that Deseret Book is going to release later this year. When Tom and I received the song through email, we were completely humbled by such a heartfelt. special gift. We are so grateful for Paul and feel it an honor to call him our friend. (Make sure you listen to the end......Paul put the audio from one of the video's posted on Gracie's blog of Callie and Gracie......you can hear Callie talking to Gracie at the end............PRICELESS!!!)
Even though there were moments of the day that were extremely sad, we have been so blessed by an outpouring of love and support. It made me a little sad knowing that I can't take any new pictures to post to my blog. That was kind of my thing......I would take a picture of what we were doing and post it along with the words. Now, I have only her little archive to pull from. I am so glad we got so many pictures in her sweet little life. But I even kind of wish I had more!! We are so appreciative of our friends and family who are still thinking of Gracie. My biggest hope is that she will never be forgotten.
We love you Gracie and miss you more than anything!
70 comments:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRACIE!!!! You are the sunshine in so many lives right now, even strangers! To Gracie's family...you are amazing. Truly an inspiration that life can go on. Not the way you wanted it, or pictured it, but the fact that you can get out of bed, eat, love, and have faith is an insipiration to us all!
So glad your family had a special day! Gracie will never be forgotten!!
That was a lovely way to celebrate her birthday. Prayers for you and your family.
Gracie will never be forgotten! She has changed so many people, even total strangers like myself. I've never met you and probably never will yet I think of your family often. Usually those thoughts are accompanied by tears. There is no doubt in my mind that Gracie will always be remembered. I love the new song for Gracie. All of the music on your playlist is beautiful. Thank you for sharing so much of Gracie with all of us. Her birthday celebration looks beautiful!
Gracie won't ever be forgotten-she will be rememebered and celebrated for years and years to come! I know I'm not alone in writing this; I think of her daily. The first day of spring this year was not the first day of spring, it was Gracie's birthday.
Her funeral and birthday celebration was simply beautiful...and your blogging, celebrating and chronicling every detail is so special-what a special message of strength and hope you share with all of us following your blog.
Many thanks for that. Happy Birthday Gracie...I think of you often.
Oh Michele ~ it sounds like such a beautiful day. Gracie was smiling down from heaven having a grand day on her birthday. The pictures were awesome...thanks so much for sharing!
Hugs,
Michele
What a wonderful celebration for sweet little Gracie! You guys are truly a phenomenal family and an example to so many people. You and Gracie have made such an impression on me. She'll never be forgotten. Happy Birthday, Gracie Girl!!!
Happy Birthday Gracie! I know your party in heaven was more than we can ever imagine. Your family has such sweet angels on this earth that are taking care of them.
Party on...sweet girl!
Who could ask for a better birthday celebration! I am sure that Gracie is looking down on it all and is so happy to see all of her family all together. Happy Birthday in heaven sweet Gracie girl!
As a nurse in the NICU, I don't know how I would survive the sorrow of of the Pediatric Cardiac Unit.
As a Mother who has lost her child, I mourn with you and cry with you.
As a blogstalker of so many "heart moms" I have been convinced that there is nothing more heartbreaking than seeing a child with a broken heart.
My prayers are with you this day. Your Gracie is truly very beautiful.
Wow what a wonderful birthday and remembrance of Gracie. I promise she will never be forgotten.
Danny's birthday was 3 days after he left us! I remember we got something special each year on his birthday so we could always remember him.
Oh my heart is touched by this wonderful post! We thought of Gracie often on Friday and truly just pictured Gracie in Heaven egging Grant on to hold out 23 more minutes so they could share a birthday one year apart! She has touched many lives and March 20th will be a special day for us always because of her life. Love to your family!
Alli, Kyle, and Baby Grant
What a wonderful thing you've done--for yourself, for your other kids, for Gracie--you've taught them to focus on and celebrate the blessings! It's such a perfect place to spend your energy. I am in absolute adoration. Well done.
Much love,
Mindi and McKay
What a beautiful celebration for a beautiful little girl. Gracie will NEVER be forgotten.
What a beautiful song! Such a wonderful tribute to a life that touched and continues to touch so many. I thank you again for sharing your beautiful daughter with the rest of us.
Michelle,
Gracie's celebration was beautiful. Isn't it amazing to smile in the mist of so much pain? I say keep posting the old pictures, no one could tire of seeing Gracie's beautiful face.
Amy
Happy Birthday Gracie
I am glad that you had so many loved ones surrounding you for her birthday. I think Paul Cardall is awesome. I've turned into a fan of piano music. I ordered his primary and just got it in the mail last week. They also sent me the summer cd. I LOVE them! I can't wait to get all of them. The sound on my computer isn't working so I can't hear the new song. How awesome that he did that for you. You guys are SO loved by so many!
I am sure Gracie was so happy watching you & her family altogether celebrating her short but miraculous time here on earth. Her song is beautiful:)
It looks like it turned out to be a special day. I was thinking about you guys all day. The cupcakes were adorable! I'm listening to Paul's song about Gracie and all I can say is WOW. What a gift! It is a perfect song for her. And I just heard the part of Callie talking to Gracie at the end of the song...Meg and I are both crying now. I am going to mail you a paper Megan doodle at Church today...it was all about Gracie. Trust me, she will never be forgotten.
Love, Natalie
What a bittersweet day! I hope you all continue to celebrate her birthday each year! I think it helps to remember she was here and blessed all those who knew her in person, or via blogs! My prayers are with your family!!
Beautiful. Perfect. You will cherish this tradition of celebrating her birthday as a family every year. It means so much more and is about so much more now than just a celebration of her birth.
Always thinking of your family...
Leslie Cluff
Happy Birthday Sweet Baby Gracie! We know you are in a better safer place and that your family will be with you one day. You are missed every second of everyday but you live your some many hearts! Happy
1st Birthday Gracie..
I listened to that song on Paul's blog a few days ago and wondered if the was special for Gracie! How wonderful, humbling, precious, and all the emotions in between! What a special new friendship that has been created! I think of he and Gracie everyday!!!
Im not sure it is possible for Gracie to be forgotten. Sure the "gifts",notes, visits, etc... may ease up as time passes, but I think all of us who have been deeply touched by her life and your family's example will ALWAYS treasure these things in our hearts! ALWAYS. In fact, my kids ask constantly to go to Gracie's grave...I think it is something THEY will always remember too. She and YOUR FAMILY have been such examples to us all. In fact, the day she was having her transplant I was talking to them all about it, and my 7 year old HLHS son looked up and smiled, "You mean one day I'll get a new heart?" I don't think we ever really spelled it out to him like that, it hit me hard. We don't keep anything secret by any means, but I guess we never really flat out explained to him that one day his sick heart will be replaced by a new one. Thank you for giving us that oppurtunity... to "ease" that thought into his mind witout it sounding scary. Gracie's and Paul's lives have given him new understanding, hope, and knowledge. Thank you!
What a treasure "Gracie's Theme" is! We will look forward to the day when we can purchase it. We are a music loving family. I have to admit that I did not listen to Paul Cardall's music until hearing it on your blog although I was aware of who he was. Heavenly Father has truly blessed your family in the wake of things including giving you such a beautiful day weather wise outside on Friday! Gracie was sharing her warm spirit you that day! God Bless you all!
Michele
What a lovely birthday celabration for such a beautiful Princess Angel. Tears are streaming down my face as I listen to Gracies Theme, such beautiful work. You can feel her in the song.
I want to thank you for sharing your Gracie with the world. I found her through Bela Milne's blog, her and my daughter share special days. They came into the world at the same hospital on the same day, both with special hearts. I have been following your blog since Avery told me about Gracie. I wept in tears of frustrantion and anger when she returned home to the lord. She left and imprint on this world, she touched more then many of us ever will in our life time in her 11 months of life. And you continue to touch thousands with your words of strength and wisdom.
I will pray for comfort and peace in the time ahead of you. May our Lord and Saviour show your his strength when you need it most.
Sending you our Heart Hugs and Blessings.
Sincerely with Love
The McLaughlin Family
Jenna and Lilyana-our CHD Warrior Princess
ps. Thank you so much for introducing me to Paul Cardalls BEAUTIFUL music....what an insperation..words can not describe how it makes me feel when I hear it.
Michele & Family-
Gracie will be forever engraved in our hearts. What a sweet spirit she is..for all of us to remember.
The birthday wishes were beautiful. Im sure it added much love to her birthday party she experienced in heaven with Jesus holding her while she blew out the candles...perhaps it is true. I would like to think so.
Gracie has touched many lives....and will NEVER be forgotten. Each night when I tuck my kids into bed, I think of your sweet Gracie as I whisper the words "Good Night"
Gracie has eternally left footprints in my heart....
On her birthday we enjoyed cupcakes with butterflies and flowers on top....Im sure Gracie would have loved...then released baloons off to heaven in celebrating in her behalf. To celebrate a birthday of someone who has passed on....was breathtaking.....emotional....pure....amazing & priceless. Our kids knew that somehow those baloons would reach the heavens before they would pop. They knew Gracie would feel of their love. They each let go of one baloon symbolizing her 1st birthday. They watched and watched and watched as they drifted together....when they were gone...they said "Mom...Dad....Gracie got her baloons in heaven" Yes kids she did....Happy Birthday Gracie Girl...Your greatest fans love you..
Until we meet in heaven...you will always have a place in our hearts...FOREVER!
Gracie will never be forgotten. She touched so many people in her life!
Michele, because of your wonderful blog about your sweet Gracie Girl she will never be forgotten. Gracie's memory lives on through events like Paul Cardall's benefit concert, Gracie's Tree.
I think everyone will remember Gracie Girl forever.
Connie
Michele, I love the song Paul did for Gracie. That is priceless! So sweet! I'm glad that you were able to have a good day. Happy Birthday Gracie Girl, We love you!
You don't know me, but I feel like I know you so well. I jumped from a friends blog, to Mercy's blog, to yours. It has been just over a year since I lost my little girl and only a couple of months since I celebrated her first birthday...without her. You did exactly what we did. Celebrated her life-as it should be. Your Gracie is beautiful and just like my Mayzi...waiting and watching. My heart and my love and my prayers to you.
i am so amazed by you guys...i love that you did this as a fam! what an honor. and the cupcakes...and the celebration is awesome for you all. celebrating her life...
and you got her song. sooooooo sweet!
What a great celebration!! I love it all.. the cupcakes, the pictures, the decorated grave... it's beautiful!
Gracie will never be forgotten!!!! Her smile is going to forever be missed.
Happy Birthday, Gracie! It sounds like you guys really had a great day celebrating your beautiful little girl. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
I LOVE the song! I didn't realize it was written specificially for Gracie when I heard it yesterday. I listened to it over and over. It is just amazing.
I can assure you that I will NEVER forget Gracie!!! That I know for sure! What amazing pictures from her day. I absolutely love the cupcakes and th sweet note being taken up to her by the balloons. I hope you got my email. I know that my posts didn't even come close to showing how amazing Gracie is but I hope you got an idea of how much she means to me.
Michelle-
That was a beautiful post...and the song from Paul was amazing as well. You and your family has touched my life. I don't know you...I have lots of thoughts and desires of finding you and bringing you something special for your Gracie girl, but don't want to "bother" you. You know?? Gracie has truly touched my life as well...she will always be in my heart and mind...I can't even look at my own kids without thinking of her and your family. Thank you so much for sharing her story...thank you for sharing your testimony...thank you for helping me realize how important these special babies are!! You're an amazing Mommy...and I hope you know how much your Gracie Girl and other kids LOVE YOU!!! What a sweet day to celebrate your baby.
Love and thoughts sent your way!!
Becki
A beautiful celebration for a beautiful & loved little girl!!! Gracie will never be forgotten!!
We thought of her all day!!! Glad it turned out to be a good day for your family.
Love the new song! Love the end where Miss Callie is singing to her. That was one of my favorite memories on the blog!
We MISS you Gracie! But we know you are looking over your family from your Father's arms.
Love you and your family!!!
Prayers and Hugs...
The Petersons
Happy Birthday Gracie!XOXO
I hope you know how much I am thinking about your family! What she has done for my heart and for the readers of your blog is incredible. Gracie will never be forgotten! She is loved by so many!
Happy Birthday sweet Gracie Girl!
Such a gorgeous day for a gorgeous girl! I can only imagine how difficult this day must have been, and so close to her angel day. The pictures of her will be your most treasured posessions as will your memories. You were SO lucky to have her for the year that you did, not that it was an easy year but I'm certain you wouldn't trade it for anything. She is happy and well and in the arms of our Savior, this I know! Thinking of you always and wishing your aching heart comfort.
Oh, you do not ever have to worry about Gracie being forgotten!! That will NEVER happen! I'm glad you had some sunshine as you celebrated her day:) Thank you again so much for sharing!!
Once again TEARS!!! I can guarantee you I will never forget her!!!! My heart continues to break for you and Gracie..my thoughts and prayers are with you!
Happy Birthday sweet Grace.
Happy Birthday Gracie!!!
How beautiful that you had such a wonderful party for her!
Happy Birthday Gracie!
Our family won't forget her anytime soon!
I love the picture you posted of her on her birthday! So precious!
Love,
Cami Lindquist
Happy Birthday Gracie!
We thought about you on Friday! I am glad the weather was perfect!
That is so sweet that Paul Cardall sent you that song on her birthday! I am grateful you had that "tender mercy" on her special day! It is so beautiful!
I went and got Paul's Primary CD friday for my birthday! :) Thanks for introducing it to me!
I will always think of your family on March 20th!
It seems that whenever I read your blog, I can hardly see through all the tears. Thanks for sharing such beautiful pictures of Gracie's birthday. It is so hard to believe she wasn't here to celebrate it! The song by Paul Cardall is priceless. What a blessing to have this gorgeous song written in Gracie's honor, and for you to have made new friends in Paul and his wife. They are amazing! Hearing Callie's voice at the end was the sweetest touch. Happy birthday, sweet, Gracie. We love and miss you!
Happy Birthday to Gracie! What a beautiful way to celebrate her special day. How I wish she could have been there with you...but know she is celebrating with all the angels in heaven. Sending lots of hugs your way!
What a beautiful tribute and song. I will never forget Gracie...she has the most beautiful smile and those eyes are gorgeous! Thank you for sharing her with all of us strangers. You will never know the imapact you have had on our lives.
With a spirit as big as hers she will not and could not ever be forgotten. What a beautiful birthday celebration you had for your sweet one!
Happy birthday! What a wonderful celebration for a wonderful life.
You don't know me, but I have a Gracie too. You will be in my prayers.
I had the music from your blog playing in my home today and it brought such a sweet spirit. I am sure that was your sweet Gracie. Thank You!
She will never be forgotten!
Oh how sweet little Gracie is in my thought daily. Along with your amazing family. Thank you again for sharing your precious gift with the world. She will never be forgotten she was so strong and so brave!
Miss Gracie will never be forgotten! She has touched all our many hearts; those who know her through your blog: sweet, delightful, beautiful Gracie. I heart your entire family. Happy Birthday, Gracie Sunshine!
Happy Birthday Gracie-she will never be forgotten. Gracie's song is just tender especially at the end-thanks for sharing that. Thanks for sharing Gracie's story with us-my thoughts are with you on this special day.
What a wonderful way to celebrate! I think of you everyday. I am sorry you had to spend Gracie's first birthday without her in person but I know she was with you somewhere near. I love to hear from you, you are amazing to me, someone I have never met, yet a hero to me. Thank you!
Just thought you would like to know that a stranger is still praying for you.
Celebrating Gracie's birthday is really a sweet idea.
What a beautiful way to celebrate Gracie's Birthday. It was perfect. Happy Birthday Gracie Girl.
Michele & Family-
Just wanted you to know we are thinking about you and your sweet little Angel Gracie.
She and all of you are in our constant thoughts & prayers.
Many hugs!
I often refer to this scripture when I am in need of comfort...
Alma 37:36-37
I don't know if I have ever left a comment before but I wanted to tell you that I am so sorry for your loss. I don't even remember how I found your blog but I found it when you posted that Gracie had died. I just caught up and cried and cried when I read and looked at her funeral post. I want you to know that though I don't know you I have been praying for you since I first discovered your blog and my kids have prayed for yours. I have a baby girl and two older kids who adore her and I know that we would all be heartbroken if anything happened to her. . Your strength inspires me and I pray that Heavenly Father will continue to bless you all with comfort.
Just a thought for you...
In this posting you ended with saying that "My biggest hope is that she will never be forgotten"
I heard a quote that reminds me of your sweet Angel.
"It takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them, a day to love them and a lifetime to forget them"
Your sweet precious little Angel will always be in our hearts....I will never forget her...and what an honor it is to always remember her.
Much love sent your way tonight...Goodnight Sweet Angel..Goodnight.
Thank you for sharing your story.
Our friends are just starting on their journey. Their son Gideon is scheduled for the Norwood today at noon. I know that you understand what they are going through.
I will be updating on my blog.
Blessings,
Kimberly
I am Kathy Jensen's daughter, Kierstin. I have been looking in on your sweet baby girls progress since the beginning. I want to tell you from one mother to another, that my heart aches for you and your loss. You are such an amazing family and I am so inspired to be a better mother from your example. Thank you. My baby girl, Mia is 8 months old and i have a 7 year old daughter and a 5 year old son. I see so many of the same characteristics in my Mia as in your Gracie. Unbelievably precious. Your experience has helped me to appreciate my children that much more and hold every second precious. I will remember to hold them a little longer, kiss them more often, and shower them with love while I have them. I cannot imagine having to say goodbye to a piece of me. I pray that the Lords peace will be in your heart every day and that you may someday be able to heal. Thank you for sharing your joys and grief with me.
Much love and admiration, Kierstin Laws
Gracie will never be forgotten.
Jen Wright
I absolutely loved the theme you used to celebrate sweet Gracie's birthday. It could not have been more perfect, "You Are My Sunshine." She truly is all of our sunshine and I know that she will never be forgotten. When there are those hard days and times of sorrow she will be our "sunshine" to help us get through. We love GG and know she is having a great time in heaven with all of those that have gone on before her. She is so special!! Also the song by Paul is so beautiful. He has a special way of touching others through his music like no one I've ever known to be able to. We look forward to attending the benefit concert for him next week and hearing from all of those special musical people and also to see the special tribute they will do for Gracie. We hope to see you guys too. We love you all and hope you are all hanging in there and feeling the prayers in your behalf. Love always, The Gee Family
Happy Birthday Gracie Girl!! You are SO loved and you have touched our lives forever!!
Gledhills-
You are are in our thoughts and prayers constantly. What a beautiful birthday celebration for your darling girl!!
Michele-
Today is very sunny here in Mesa, Arizona and I couldnt stop to think of your beautiful sunshine Gracie...
I hope your hearts are full of love today.
Hugs-
So I do not know you but I know friends of yours Chris and Heather and I just wanted to say thank you for posting such sweet things about such a sweet baby. Thank you for showing that even in difficult times you can survive and have the spirit of peace. I have caught myself recently being very frustrated with my situation and I now have such a better perspective and to you I am greatful! Thank you
Jen
Post a Comment