Sunday, June 1, 2008
It's June and We're Still Here!
Gracie moved up to the third floor yesterday. My mom and Gary slept overnight with her and they said she did really well. She slept the whole night through except for waking up just a little bit when the nurses came in to bug her. She is being fed every three hours for an hour. She has thrown up three times today so far. She seems to do it about half way into her feeding. I asked the nurse what we do at home for feeds during the night (wondering if I could put her on a continuous feed), she was not sure. I was getting anxiety thinking about doing feedings during the night. So the feeding schedule looks like this: you have to hook the new syringe of food up at the beginning of the 3 hours, then the food slowly moves through the tube over the course of an hour. (You could attempt sleep at this point but often times Gracie throws up and you have to deal with that) At the end of the hour you have to flush the line with saline so it does not clog. Then, hopefully you could fall immediately back to sleep because you have to repeat the process two hours after that!! Yikes!! I can now see what some of our other heart friends were talking about---feedings may be the hardest part yet! Anyway, the doctors and nurses are very pleased with her progress. Our nurse Linda said that Gracie just amazes her every step of the way. She has defied all the odds and is truly our little miracle baby. They said that we may go home mid-week sometime. I think this will be great!! The kids are so excited to have their little sister home and to get to know her. They were all here at the hospital today and while I was holding her she just sat and stared at all three of them, taking it all in. I'm glad she is used to being bugged all the time here because that will definitely continue at home with her siblings!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
woo hoo Gracie!!
Good luck with the feedings...we'll still be praying for you and your family.
Wow, Gracie is about ready to to home. We thank all of you for your prayers and fasting this weekend. Gracie's will to live has strengthen all who have been aware of her through Michele's blog. It has given all of us a desire to live a little bit better trying to care for our families and showing more love and patience for them. Thank You Gracie for making all of us better people from your desire to live. Tom and Michele I know the Lord will give you the strength and patience you will need to raise our Gracie. He truly has chosen the right parents to give Gracie the love and time she needs. All my Love to you and my Grandchildren
Grandpa Gledhill
Go Gracie Girl!
I can't wait to start seeing pictures of Gracie from her own home! I know it will be challenging and wonderful! Our family fasted for you today and hope it will happen midweek as planned. She's a living miracle.
Love, Kim
I can't believe you might actually have Gracie at home in her own room this week! What wonderful news! I can see how that would be scary and stressful though. Hopefully the feeding will eventually get easier. We all want to help out anyway we can. Even if it just means a little Cafe Rio takeout. I can't wait to see little Gracie again. The latest pictures of her are adorable! Good luck with the rest of your hospital days. We'll be following your blog closely and praying for you and for Gracie every day!
Love, Natalie
How cool is that! Soon to come home. That will be some homecoming, no doubt. We will continue to pray for Gracie and her amazing progress. And also for you and Tom for great fortitude, since it sounds like your sleep schedule will certainly be a challenge!
WOW! Mid week will come really fast! That is very exciting news. I guess you won't miss out on the constant feedings of a newborn. No worries though, I am sure you will be sustained and given the extra strength from above. Good Luck!
Kristin
I'll pray that Gracie can FINALLY come home this week! She needs time with her family to grow and enjoy being a baby before she's back for surgery #2.
Don't stress too much about the feeds. Owen is 4mo, Glenn is behind him, and he's still working up to a bolus feed from continuous. No rush and don't stress it... she'll get the hang of it and as she grows her tummy will tolerate the increased feeds better! :) I keep telling myself this or I'd go crazy! As long as she is packing on the lb's for the Glenn you are good to go! :)
I am so amazed at how well she is doing!
Andrea
Owen's Momma
Post a Comment