We met with Dr. Su today in Cardiology at Primary Childrens. They did a chest x-ray and all looked good. But the biggest news is that they tested Gracie at room air and thought she was sating well enough to come off oxygen!!!! I was really surprised because the last visit we had there they told me that she would be on oxygen until her next surgery. She looks so cute, I will have to take some pictures of her tomorrow.
We mainly talked about her coughing and throwing up and what we could do to fix it. He talked to my pediatrician and discussed all of the concerns before we met with him today. Dr. Su suggested going up on her calories from 27 to 30. We are going to see how she does on that and then we will try taking her off Enalapril for a few days and see if her coughing subsides. (Because a dry cough is a side effect of Enalapril, but not a wretching vomity type cough so we'll see)I asked if it would harm her to be off that medication for a few days and he said no. So, we will give her a day or two off her oxygen and have her try her 30 cal formula again and see how she does before we take her off the Enalapril.
I have been a little nervous with her off her oxygen. I absolutely love it but at the same time I am a little skeptical that she will be able to sustain herself off of it. She has never been off oxygen since her initial surgery. (Even though we only have her on 1/8 of a liter) I have a pulse oximeter at home and had only used it a couple of times before today and she would typically sat in the low 80's. I have had it on her for a few hours now at home and she is mainly sating between 72 and 78. (Normal being 75-85). So we'll see how it goes. I will post later.
17 comments:
Oh that is fantastic news. We're hoping she comes off the oxygen too. :) She is so cute! You're so amazing to be able to function on such little sleep. Good job super mom! (and dad too!)
YIPPEE!!! That is wonderful news! I can see why you would be nervous, we will pray that she will do o.k. off her oxegen. She is a little sweetie. Congrats! Little baby steps...next thing you know she will be off her feeding tube and taking a bottle (hey we can always hope right!). We are so happy for the good news!
Hooray for Baby steps in the right direction!
Hi there, I am new to your web site. I have a daughter that spent the first three months of her life in the hospital with HLHS also. It was so good to get her home. I hope you don't mind if I give a few suggestions on the feeding issue.
We tried the NG and the NJ with Natalie. She did ok with them, but we decided that we would go with the g-tube because the cardiology team thought we would be awhile before she could eat by mouth. I'd have to say that the g-tube experience wasn't all bad. It was out of the way from exporing hands. The baby was a lot more photogenic and there wasn't a tube to tickle her throat. You might want to try a smaller NG tube or just try securing it well so that it doesn't move. Anyway, I'm happy to say that today Natalie is 6 months old, 3 days Post-Glen surgery and on all oral feedings by the bottle. We are discussing removing the g-tube. I remember the every three hour tube feedings. Hang in there and keep working on oral feeding if they will let you and maybe give the g-tube some thought. This won't last forever.
Angie Hand
Yea, I'm so happy she is off the oxygen! That will be great to not be attached to that machine. She is just getting cuter and cuter. Tom, Parker really enjoyed seeing you at camp this last week. Thanks for being kind to him. You guys are great and are always in our thoughts and prayers. Have a great day. Julie
YEAH for NO Oxygen!! Funny story: Owen was also on 1/8 liter of O2 and I took him off yesterday... same sats! He was los-mid 80's with it and now is between 72-78 w/o it... after the Glenn they like them mid 80's so I may have to put it back on... but sounds like Gracie will get to keep hers OFF!! We can be nervous w/o it together :)
Were her cheeks are CHUBBY wo it??
Andrea
Wow! Way to go!! It seems like every time I check in, she's making progress. That really makes my day. Hang in there and continue to get stronger baby girl!
That is one beautiful little baby! Sounds to me like a bunch of progress is happening on the home front. Very good news it seems. We continue to pray for the whole family. Harry
Oh my gosh! Really? No more oxygen tube to drag around the house? That is just so great! I can't wait to hold her and walk around. Jake is on the mend so I'll be over soon. I'm telling you...her progress week to week really is remarkable.
Yeah for Gracie!!! That is exciting but like you said, I am sure it is a little nerve racking. Keep taking those baby steps girl. Next, no more coughing! :)
woo hoo!!! Go Gracie girl!!!
We looove you!!!
Tam
Go Gracie!! You will be ok and if anything worries you the docs are just a phone call away. It would be nice if they could get her off the medicine Enalapril maybe shw will stop throwing up. All the throwing up can't be good for her. Keeping her in our prayers.
Yeah! Sounds great! Way to go Gracie!!
What WONDERFUL NEWS! It is a little nerve wracking at first, but the cardiologist wouldn't suggest it if he didn't think she could handle it. What our cardiologist told us was that so long as her tongue is pink, she is good. So, don't drive yourself too crazy with the pulse ox. Go Gracie! I am so happy for her to be rid of the O2 - here's to figuring out the cough! Continued prayers being sent in your direction.
Jen
Gracie seems to be doing so good! I am excited for you guys and can't wait to meet her. Hopefully she keeps getting better and better!
We must have missed you...we also had an appointment with Dr. Su on Monday as well. I'm so glad to hear that Gracie is making such great strides...sometimes getting these heart kids to gain weight is tougher said then done, but getting them of oxygen is so nice.
Thoughts and Prayers,
Mike & Family
Such good news not to have oxygen!! I can only imagine what a pain that must be! Hopefully she'll keep it up...
I was reading your last couple of posts about Gracie's coughing ang gagging and that is EXACTLY what Bela has been doing the last week or so since we've been home from the hospital and on Enalapril. I was told that hers also could be a side effect, but it should sound very dry and hers sounds wet too... I'll be interested to see if going off enalapril will help Gracie. There's always something to worry about!
Avery
Post a Comment