Saturday, March 28, 2009

Donate to Life

Donor Services has treated us really nice. They sent this mounted certificate in the mail along with a nice letter of appreciation for Gracie's donation. Then they sent a packet with grieving books, a donor pin and some bereavement information. A very nice touch.

I waited to post any details about Gracie's donation and here is why. The day before she died, they told us that they would be able to use Gracie's liver and kidneys. We were happy about this and knew that they were both important organs and felt like it would be worth not being able to say goodbye like we wanted if we could help two people out. The next day (the day she died) we were informed that something had happened to the liver recipient and they would not be able to use Gracie's liver, only the kidneys. They told us that infant kidneys are hard to transplant and that there was a possibility that they would take them and the receiving surgeon may get them and choose not to use them for various reasons. This of course made the whole situation even harder but we felt like we had to at least give someone a chance even if it didn't work. They informed us that they would send us a letter in the next few weeks with the details of the recipient and if they were able to use her kidneys. I received the letter several days ago and according to the letter, they were able to use them!! Her kidneys went to: (and I quote the letter)

"Gracie Jean's kidneys were given to a 49-year old California woman. She has a 12-year-old son. She teaches at the YMCA. She has a brother she is very close to, as well as friends and family from whom she receives a lot of support. She attends a dance class 2-3 times a week; she swims and does stair walking for exercise. She is doing well with her recovery."

Crazy huh? I can't believe they can use a baby's kidneys for a 49 year old woman, AMAZING.
That's our amazing Gracie! Her donation gives us a feeling of a bit more purpose in her passing. A little part of her still lives on.

62 comments:

King J's Queen said...

Thank you for allowing Gracie to "live on" through organ donation. We know she is alive and healed in her heavenly home with our Lord. Your gift is amazing!

We continue to lift your family in our prayers.

Melissa said...

This is amazing!! I am sure it provides you so much comfort to know that another life was saved because of Gracie. She was such an amazing child! God blessed your family with many miracles including this one!! I pray for your family everyday. I hope you are finding more strength everyday. God bless you always.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful!!! Wow!!! How miraculous that an INFANT'S kidneys could be used on someone much older!!! That is amazing!!! Gracie has touched so many lives and her and her memory will live on forever!!

Blessings

Alyson - Mommy to Evan and Avery (Severe PPHN)

p.s. I posted a blog about herin my own blog (in case you were interested inreading it).... It is titled "Goodnight Gracie"

Miller Family said...

What an amazing gift! How special to have touched the life of someone else. Donating organs is truly a selfish act. Thanks for sharing more about your amazing Gracie. Her story will always be alive!

kati said...

what wonderful news! a little light in the dark...

jen said...

That is so awesome!!!!

Shelley said...

That is amazing. I had no idea they could use any of a baby's vital organs on an adult. Truly amazing.

The Simmons Family said...

AMAZING indeed!! I love that you were able to donate Gracie's organs. I wasn't aware that they sent a certificate and information to the donor family...WoW.

I pray for you and your family all the time. Gracie's sudden passing has given us yet another outlook on life. We had our family pictures taken, we are making as many memories as we can! I haven't been keeping him home as much, we've been getting out and about and enjoying time together. The feeding issues, lack of motor skills... they don't matter as much anymore.

We miss you Gracie Girl.

The Semi-Domesticated Mama said...

Your Gracie has touched my heart in so many ways. What a beautiful little angel that Heaven gained. Donating her organs was such a wonderful gift you chose to give and I'm sure it was so hard to not have as much time with Gracie as you would have otherwise. As the daughter of a dad who received a kidney transplant less than 2 years ago, thank you. It's selfless acts of giving like yours that enabled my father to be able to see his grandchildren growing up. Thank you.

Natalie♥ said...

That is so wonderful! You are amazing people for giving hope to someone else through Gracie. Thank you for your example you show to me.

hbeary said...

THAT is TRULY beautiful!!! Your unselfish decision and sweet Gracie saved someone's life! How amazing is that??? I am encouraged by your selflessness... and I LOVE the photos you have shared. Thank you! Gracie's story has touched my life.

Summer said...

That is amazing! You are a great example to us all on the reality and importance of donating. Gracie truly had many missions here during her short life.
We love you and continue to pray for you!

The B Family said...

Absolutely Amazing (but I would expect nothing less than that from your girl)!
What a special certificate...you are a blessing, Michele, and your baby girl is most definitely continuing to bless others...including our family!

Love to you~ Rebecca

Lacey said...

Thats fantastic. And its even better that they told you a little about the recipient.

Unknown said...

I have been following your blog since I found out about my daughter's diagnosis while I was pregnant. Unfortunately, I became an Angel mom more quickly than I ever imagined...she passed the same day she was born, just a week after Gracie did. It was the worst week of my life, I was so shaken by the loss of Gracie, then to experience my own loss just days later. I wanted to donate organs as well but the doctors said she is too young. It left me comforted today to read that your Gracie was able to save others. What a precious gift! I hope you are doing as well as can be. Always in our thoughts and prayers
Leah, Angel Mom to Avery Ann

Marilyn said...

I have a close friend whose husband received a kidney transplant five years ago, and he is able to continue to be a dad and grandpa to his family. Gracie's gift made the difference between life and death for the woman who received her kidneys.
I think about you often, Michelle, and hope that your family is healing. Gracie will never be forgotten, and she influenced so many people for the good.

Anonymous said...

Hi there! This post was just too close to my heart not to comment. Seven years ago we lost my brother Wesley un an accident. We decided to donate his organs... my sister and I made the decision. My parents just could not do it. He was 23 at the time of his death and very healthy. He was brain dead so he was able to give a lot...and save many. I know your pain..bitter sweet,smile. Just today they had a large picnic to honor those who had given so kindly. We attend every year. Its called Lopa.Louisiana Organ Procurement agency...What a blessing sweet Gracie is!

Heather said...

gracie saved a life and will forever be in ours. thanks for sharing your gracie girl with us.

Donna said...

How really lucky the recipient is to have received Gracie's kidneys! Transplanted kidneys are able to take the shape of and adjust to the size of the person whom they are transplanted into....like the miracle that it is. Likewise, large kidneys can be transplanted into a small person. My brother-in-law had transplanted kidneys 25 years ago and back then life expectancy was 10-15 years. They are still working! Thankyou for your wonderful gift.

Jenny @ flutterbyechronicles said...

That is amazing.

Amy said...

That is amazing. Your family is selfless. Gracie continues to bless others who have never met her!

Gracie is the still the last person I think of before I fall asleep and the first person I think of when I wake up. Praying...........
Amy

Kimmie said...

That is so AWESOME! What a wonderful thing for you to do despite the fact it decreased your "goodbye" time with Gracie. You and Tom truly AMAZE and INSPIRE me. And what a great turn-out your selfless decision had...GO GRACIE GIRL!

P.S. I hope you don't mind, but I make a yearly shutterly photo book, and today I made a 2 page spread with Gracie's and Paul's stories and how they have affected me so deeply. One of my very favorite pictures of your beautiful Gracie is the one you took of her the night before transplant. It's absolutely pricelss and speaks a thousand words!

Amanda said...

What a wonderful gift you gave. Gracie's gift will live on. That was so selfless of you and your husband.

♥Stef said...

Wow! I have never known anyone personally that donated their organs. I am so glad that a part of my sweet niece will live on. Like someone commented, "it's the light in the darkness".
I am sure the son of the recipient is SO grateful that you saved his MOM!!!

Amy and Brad said...

That is so neat. Just think of that 12-year-old boy and the fact that you and Gracie have given his mother a second chance at a healthy life. What a Christ-like thing to do.

lundgrenville said...

Surely, your desire to give selfless love of the decision to donate Gracies organs will forever live on. Amazing how one life can change many...forever!
Here is a testament that....now you know...Gracie will never be forgotten...as a unique 49 year old child of God has a part of your Gracie girl. How special she must be to have a part of such an elect angel. I think it would be fair to say, that Gracie will be remembered by the donor recipient...always..&..forever!
Love & Hugs-

Brooke said...

That is crazy! I cannot even imagine how thankful that family is. I don't think I have on my driver's license that I want to be a donor but I know that I need to change that. Thanks for the reminder!

Heidi Ann said...

How completely unselfish you were to give up precious, extremely limited time with your princess to benefit a stranger. I think YOU are amazing!!!!

Allison said...

What a great gift! We are so glad Gracie was able to give such a wonderful gift to another and her family. We constantly think about you and your family. We hope that you are finding the peace you are seeking. Love, Kyle and Alli

Marci said...

Incredible! How amazing that a part of Gracie is still alive and well. What a gift you all have given that family. I am so grateful that you were able to find out a little about the person whose life you blessed. I think about you everyday and hope you are hanging in there....

Mimi said...

Wow- that is incredible! All of it... just incredible.

Thank you so much for sharing this. I think about your family everyday. I have so many people asking me about you. The prayers have not let up for your comfort!

Scott McMillan said...

Wow!! Just reading that makes me really feel the miracle of being a donor. It was one of the most selfless and caring things that you and Gracie could have done. I know she is smiling down with joy and happiness for the beautiful life she gave to this woman, her family and friends. Beautiful!! We are thinking and praying for your beautiful family Michele. All our love!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, that is wonderful news and I had no idea they could use a babies organs on adults! What a blessing on so many fronts....

Livy

kdance10 said...

That is so awesome that someone else got to use her kidneys. Ya that is crazy that someone older could use a babies organs. I bet that was a great feeling to know that they were able to use some of Gracie's organs. That would be neat for you guys to maybe meet her someday. I still think of little Gracie DAILY. My little guy turns one on friday & we will be blowing out a candle for Gracie. We are thinking of you & your family.

The Dance Family

Em said...

Wow! That is crazy! I always thought that when it was a baby who donates, it would go to another infant or child. I had no idea that it worked that way! What a blessing! She not only blesses your family spiritually, but she continues to bless lives physically. We continue to pray for your family. We know that you never stop grieving the loss of child. Time passes, the pain fades but seems to rear it's painful head in the moments you may or may not expect it to. We are adopting a little boy. He should be home with us soon, and the anticipation is pretty stressful, but it will be wonderful to no longer have empty arms. I am not trying to say to have a child, I am just simply saying that after losing our two babies, I can not wait to bring our little C home hold him in our arms. What a sweet reunion we will both have someday with our children.
Take Care,
Emily
P.S. Sometime, I would love to get together with you for some soup, or some yummy baked goods,(or both) and just talk. Not anytime soon. It's just an idea, and I will not feel hurt at all if you would rather not. I am just a firm believer to stand together with those who mourn (and I still do.)

Sabrina said...

WOW, just WOW.

Gracie's story is more amazing each day.

I think of you and your family often.

Peace,
Sabrina

Laura Marchant said...

Wow, I too am amazed they were able to use her kidneys on an older person. Awesome! Gracie you are a miracle.

Stephanie said...

That is amazing! Wow! I just figured that Gracie's organs would have to go to another baby. Modern medicine is mind boggling! How thrilling that Gracie was able to help prolong the life of a mother! And to know that her kidneys will be dancing and swimming! I think that it's awesome that they give you so much information about the recipient. I hope that they give the recipient just as much information about Gracie. Gracie was a special girl and it only seems right that a part of her lives on!

Katie said...

That is just so amazing...sweet Gracie is continuing to be a little miracle here on earth. Thanks for sharing this touching post, I cried through the entire thing! Thinking of you Michele and praying for you all-

Tonya said...

Awesome Gift!!!!!!!

Connie and Gary said...

As always with Gracie, another miracle. How wonderful a mother can watch her son grow and she can continue to live a more normal life. Gracie will always be our sweet little girl.

Matchbox Mom said...

Yet again, Gracie touched another life...
Miss her and love her...

The Ridgway Family said...

That is so fabulous Michele. Hoe truly selfless of you to give up precious time with Gracie to help another. I did not know that hey sent a letter, but I think it is so fitting. Gracie really lives on in more ways than one. I think of and pray for you daily and I hope that you and your family are doing okay. I know too well how it is still a rollercoaster, just full of different emotions. I hope that Gracie will be close to you often and that you will feel the Lord carry you through.

Love, Keisa

Natalie said...

Amazing! I had no idea that could happen with a transplant. I can't imagine how emotional it must have been to hear that news. Gracie lives on in so many ways!!!
Love, Nat

Connie and Gary said...

Michele, very special post. We have been so appreciative of the family who unselfishly donated a heart for Gracie. I know how extremely difficult Gracie's passing was on you and Tom. I am very proud of you for so graciously giving someone the gift of life. I hope we will someday meet the fortunate recipient of Gracie's kidneys. I wish her all the best for a healthy full life. Thank you Michele, Tom and sweet Gracie Jean

cici said...

I hope you get to meet the this lady someday and you can hug each other Now that would be amazing!

Stephanie said...

Gracie will always live on! She has made a big difference in the way I view everyday. Thank you for sharing your Gracie with me!!!! Sending love your way!

Mindi said...

Gracie, Gracie, Gracie. Amazing. Kidneys or no, Gracie has saved and changed more lives than that one.

Much love,
Mindi and McKay

Blueberries N Cucumbers said...

I came across your blog through a friend who lives up your way. I want to share my appreciation for what a strong humble testimony you have over this trial. I have a nine month old daughter and can say I would not act with such faith in your situation. You and your family will be an example to me for the rest of my life because of what sacrifice and love you have in families and our Savior. I hope someday to be able to be that strong. I know you have no idea who I am but if you want to see our blog (I am private) please let email me at jhula12@hotmail.com I would want to see life growing on around me too. This may sound so strange but I would love you to write me telling me how you have beomce so strong and faithful. Once again thank you soo much for such a wonderful testimony and sharing your triumphs. You have a BEAUTIFUL family. Jordan (girl...it gets mixed up sometimes :) )

Grammy Staffy said...

How wonderful. Just think... that little boy has a mom because of Gracie Jean. She blessed one with her kidneys.....she blessed many with her story... thanks for sharing

Leslie said...

Gracie's life has left such a legacy behind....so many things that she has done for other people. I believe that through her example, so many people will now become organ donors who may not have been before. She personally saved one person's life, but her gift and example will go on to benefit hundreds of lives.

I miss my little buddy every single day! I still can't seem to wrap my brain around the fact that she is really gone. She feels so close, especially in your home. Of course she will never be forgotten! I will love her forever.

Lenexa Relief Society said...

For some reason I went to the bottom of the this blog page this morning and read back up from Feb. 1st. Tears streaming the entire time. My heart aches that Gracie was called back to her Heavenly home. I know she's happy and well, but I just ache for how much you must miss her.
It was so wonderful of you to donate her organs. Your time was again cut short not being able to hold her as long as you wanted, and that was a selfless act of love!
I hope your days are going okay. I can't imagine having to awake each moring to face another day without her sweet face. I hope her sweet spirit is allowed to reside with you when you need it the most.
My family and I continue to pray for you everyday.

Danyele Easterhaus said...

this is bringing me so much sorrow for the loss of yoru gracie here on earth and yet, so much joy in the knowing she is playing with jesus and os many other angels...and that a woman (49...who knew) could get another chance at life.

amazing how god works...amazing. and i just have to say again, i love this ben folds song gracie...it's awesome!!!

Mandy said...

Hello, someone told me about this amazing blog and family and I am so glad I looked it up!! You all are so special!! I have read and cried and cried, I have been so inspired by you and your family!! Thank you so much for your inspiring posts! I am sorry for the passing of little gracie but oh how sweet and beautiful she is!! I pray for the comforting spirit to continue surrounding you and your family!! The hardest times in our lives can be the most sweet, rewarding times yet also be the very heart wrenching ones also!! We sometimes feel the Savior closer than we do normally because of these experiences and I think that is what can make them the sweetest!! I just wanted you to know that I am glad I found your blog and have been so inspired by you that I had to thank you!! I want to follow your blog and continue to pray for strength and peace for you and your family!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news! Thanks for sharing.

Alisha said...

That's a wonderful thing! It is amazing what doctors can do now a days!

Marie said...

Her kidneys are going to outlive her! Your unselfish service and donation have blessed many lives. Just think how many people are grateful because Gracie's donor recipient has new kidneys.

I'm sorry you lost your sweet little Gracie. I hear what you are saying that it will hurt for a long time. We're here for you and love you.

Love, Marie

The Gee Family said...

It truly is an amazing thing to give others life through transplantation and organ donation. I am so glad you chose to allow Gracie to live on and help others in this life. I was a transplant nurse at LDS Hospital before I went to Labor and Delivery a few years ago and I have to say that seeing the whole picture from both sides truly is a precious gift from those giving and for those receiving the organs. I am so glad to know that Gracie was able to help a little boys mom who needs her so much on earth right now. I know you will be blest for your tender mercy and you graciousness!! You are so Christ-like and I admire you with all my "heart." We love Gracie and all of you and pray for you each day to have peace and comfort in your lives as you embark down this path Heavenly Father has chosen for you as a family. Keep the faith. All of our love, The Gee Family

MamabearMills said...

How happy that woman's family must be, all because you and your loving gracie girl!

Michelle Whitlow said...

Such an amazing and wonderful gift that your precious Gracie has given!! I will continue to pray for you and your family. I can't imagine the pain you've been through and continue to go through.

Unknown said...

My friend passed on the link to your blog to me. My husband is currently awaiting a kidney/pnacreas transplant. I pray for donor families every day and your story has touched me. I know what a selfless difficult decision it is to make. I am praying for your family and thank you for putting your story out there.

Jennifer said...

I LOVE that Gracie's kidney is still alive!