Wednesday, April 23, 2008

30 Days, But Who's Counting


Yes, here I am holding my sweet baby after 30 days!! I asked the nurse if I could hold her. I think she was a little surprised that I had not held her yet. She got approval from the doctor and it took two people to get her into my arms. I held her for two hours, it was great. I have to admit, it was a little nerve wracking. Every time her breathing tube moves, she gags and looks like she is going to throw up. So once we got her comfortable, I sat frozen like a statue for the whole two hours. She was awake for a long time, taking her new surroundings all in, then she finally fell asleep. I think she liked it a lot. She had been laying there flat as a pancake for a month!! The second picture was the one I took right before we left tonight. It was so hard to leave her while she was awake, much harder than while she is asleep. I asked the nurse to talk to her while I was gone. I think she will get her breathing tube out within the next week. Then I will be able to hold her all the time!! Can't wait.

45 comments:

Connie and Gary said...

That's the best picture we have ever seen. Michele, your smile is priceless!

We are so glad you had her in your arms today.

We love you

Mom and "G"

Connie and Gary said...

Michele:

That is the best picture we have ever seen. Your smile is priceless. It is so good to see her in your arms.

Love you,

Mom and Gary

Cami said...

Hooray!!!!

The Gough's said...

Finally!! Just how it should be - In her momma's arms. I know she loved it - and you did too! Congrats! Still praying for her :)

Kara said...

That must have been the best thing ever! So precious. She looks very happy in Momma's arms.

shana said...

Michele
I am so happy for you! You two look so sweet together! I can't imagine not holding your baby for 30 days, I'm sure it was just priceless today. I bet it was hard not to just squeeze her and smother her with kisses-but soon enough you can do that! Congrats! Those are the moments that make it all worth it! XOXOX
Shana

♥Stef said...

The best picture we have seen in 30 days!!! I am sure Gracie will heal so much faster now because she is being held and loved by her mommy!

Melissa said...

I saw the picture of you holding sweet Gracie and I just started bawling! I'm so happy for you!!! I thought about going for five hours after Madison was born before getting to hold her and it felt like an eternity. I can only imagine what your 30 days must have felt like and it overwhelms me. I'm so glad you were able to have a beautiful, wonderful, fabulous day with your sweet angel girl! I hope it is another amazing day tommorrow!!!

Love,
Melissa

SuperCoolMom said...

What a happy day! It makes me want to cry for you!! I can just imagine your joy at finally being able to hold your little sweetheart! She is so beautiful!

Joni said...

I started crying when I saw the picture of Gracie in your arms! What a wonderful moment for you and her!!

Marci said...

Michele!! PURE HAPPINESS to see that photo of you! And you look so so happy! Yay!! Gracie is looking great - I'm sure she was waiting for that moment as much as you were.

Diana said...

I found your blog off of someones elses and have been reading and praying for you. I saw this picture of you holding your beautiful daughter today and now I am sitting here crying! I am so happy for you and Grace. That picture is worth a thousand words!!

Mp said...

There's nothing like finally getting to hold your baby. Good therapy to the road of recovery for both of you.
Rebecca IHH

Teresa said...

Oh Michelle, that was a beautiful sight, to see you smiling with Gracie in your arms. I can only imagine that feeling you must have had when the nurses nestled that little girl in your arms for the first time. I'm so glad you were able to have that day with her. I would have been tempted to stay until she closed her eyes too. She's too sweet! I hope and pray for continued strength and healing.

Liz Apking said...

That is my favorite picture so far! Both of you look so happy. Congratulations on finally getting to hold her, what a blessing!

Tiffany said...

YEA!!! This is priceless! After all this, I'm so glad you finally got her in your arms. You guys look great, hopefully that helped to move a little of that fluid out! I'm so happy for you. Can't wait to see her again...
Love,
Tiff

jen said...

Wow tha is wonderful! What a sweet picture. JOY!

Christina said...

I am thrilled that you got to hold your sweet little girl. What a blessing. Here is hoping for many more days of cuddling together!

Christina

Leslie said...

What????? We were just talking yesterday afternoon and you said that it would still be a while before you got to hold her. I was so shocked to see that picture of you two this morning but I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU I CAN HARDLY STAND IT!!!! What a beautiful moment! Hopefully you'll get to squeeze her and rock her real soon. I'm sure she was in heaven in your arms. When she finally gets to come home I have a feeling that she will be in someone's arms 24/7! Congratulations on this big step. Hope your day today is even better!
Leslie
P.S. Thank you so much for the time you shared with us yesterday. It was priceless to be in Gracie's presence.

Natalie said...

Michele - the smile on your face says it all! That picture of you finally holding your little Gracie gave me chills! I hope you have many, many more moments like this in the days and weeks to come. Congratulations!!!!
Nat

Unknown said...

I have been following Gracie for some time now and can't tell you how big the smile was on my face when I logged on today and saw that her mommy was holding her. How special...there are tears of joy for such a beautiful sight. We continue to pray for her and for your family!

Anonymous said...

Breathing tube out and lots more holding, thats what I will be praying for. Thanks for loving your daughter so much!

JN Designs said...

Those pictures are so precious! It brings tears to my eyes! What a sweet little angel Gracie is! We will keep praying for you.

Court and Britt said...

That picture is so precious, what a special moment for the two of you. You can tell how tiny she is when you see her in your arms!! We will continue to pray for your sweet girl & your family!!

Harry said...

Well, that just makes me cry. Very very happy for you! Harry

Matchbox Mom said...

Oh man! I am BAWLING! Wow! Michele...that is awesome! What a great post to wake up to!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

All our love,
The Petersons

Anonymous said...

What a priceless picture of you and sweet Gracie. I am sure that she was in seventh heaven being in your arms. May she continue to grow stronger with each passing day. What a sweetheart!

susan said...

Michele,
There couldn't have been a better picture to pop up on my computer when I checked in on you this morning. Pure Joy! You look so beautiful together. Love, Susan

Shari said...

Oh Michele-That is so sweet. I am sure she will heal much faster now!!! You are a beautiful mother/daughter duo!!!! Yea!!!

Anne said...

YES!!! This is the picture we have all be hoping for!! She is as beautiful as ever, those beautiful big eyes look clear and alert. What a wonderful occasion! You two look a lot alike, too. So great! Congrats.

coccifamily said...

What a great day! Hopefully this is the turning point for many days of good news, rather than set backs! You look great, and so does that beautiful little one! Nancy C

Johanna said...

I do not know your family but I have been keeping up with your family through your blog. I am a friend of Rebecca Butcher, Annabelle's mom. Please know that I think, pray for your sweet baby, and check your blog daily. I look forward to your new posts and seeing Gracie's progress. Thank you for sharing her story!

Skatermom said...

You are both so beautiful! I am so, so thrilled to see her in your arms, Michelle. You look so happy! I know you both needed this time together, and that she will thrive on the love she feels from you. What a blessing!

Love,

Michelle Tew

jessicalangprice said...

What a beautiful site to see you holding your baby girl! I imagine she loved being held as well. What a sweetheart! Keep on fighting baby girl!

Allie said...

I don't know your family either, but have been touched by your story. I had a child in the NICU for awhile when he was born and hearing what you have gone through brings back many memories. I remember the first time I was able to hold my own child and how scary it was with all the tubes, but how wonderful it was. I am praying for you and your family and especially little Gracie. She is beautiful. Good luck with everything and may the Lord bless you and give you strength to carry on. You seem like an amazing person.

Ben and Robbie and family said...

Wow! What wonderful news! We are so happy for you and happy for Gracie!

Scott McMillan said...

Yeah!! That is such great news. She is looking so good! So much healthier and stronger each day. All our love.

Amy Maires said...

Yeah!! The picture we have all been waiting for! She looks so wonderful in your arms and you look so happy (but of course!) I see this as a great milestone for Gracie. You know the amazing healing that can come from human contact. I hope you have many more hours of cuddling! Keep on getting stronger Gracie!

Julie said...

AWESOME!! My thoughts are exactly what everyone else has said. She looks so comfortable in that picture. We think about you everyday and pray for Gracie's continued progress. Keep hanging in there. Love, The Skousens

Allysa said...

So Glad you finally got to hold your little angel! Congratulations!!!! Isn't it wonderful!?!?!
Much Love and Still Prayin'

KristinB said...

WOW! These are great photos!! She is adorable. I'm sure Max is jealous! He sure loves her and has a TON of faith. I hope you get many more days of just sitting and enjoying her.

Kristin

Jean said...

Wow, that is so great that you got to hold Gracie. Just makes you tear up with joy.

My prayers continue several times a day, so I'm praying that the ventilator tube comes out next.

Brooke said...

I got goose bumps! How exciting for you. That is great. I am sure it will be so much nicer when she has the breathing tube out. Such great steps she is taking. She wants to go home with her family!

The Simmons Family said...

So happy to hear you got to hold her... FINALLY... even if you had to sit like a statue for 2 hours. And I agree that it is much more difficult to leave them when they are awake. :(

Andrea
Owen's Mommy

The Simmons Family said...

So happy to hear you got to hold her... FINALLY... even if you had to sit like a statue for 2 hours. And I agree that it is much more difficult to leave them when they are awake. :(

Andrea
Owen's Mommy