Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Still Tweaking

Today they are adjusting a few things for Gracie. She threw up 4 times this morning. This is concerning to the nurse and they are going to tweak a few things to try and get this under control. They don't want her to aspirate her vomit into her lungs and they don't want it getting on her sternal incision because it would get infected. She has not thrown up since I've been here which is good. They think it might be because they are coming down on her pain medications which can cause some nausea.

She isn't as 'fluid negative' as they would like (they want the swelling in her abdomen to come down). So, they are changing her diuretic to a stronger one. They won't come down on her ventilator until she can get rid of some more fluid.

Other than that, she is doing good. I will post later if anything new happens.

16 comments:

The Gatherum Clan! said...

Wonderful news!! Sure thinking about your little family!! :)

SuperCoolMom said...

Sweet little girl! Keep up the good work & we'll keep praying.

Tara said...

I wandered to your blog from a friend of mine. Your story is beautiful and inspiring, I can't stop crying! We will include your family in our prayers as well, you seem like a very special family. I hope things continue to move forward! :) -Tara

Tiffany said...

Tell her she's skinny enough! No more throwing up :)

Erin said...

I found your blog in the chain (friend of a friend) Gracie's story is amazing. I will pray for her and your whole family. You are all so strong! I know a girl who was born with half a heart. She was supposed to die within hours. They tried something new with surgery and a pacemaker and it worked. She is now in her 20's and just got married to a great guy. Modern Miracles happen and I pray everything will go well for you and your beautiful baby girl.

Kaidence's Mommy said...

We are still keeping tabs on you all. Sorry I haven't been in touch lately. We had some issues with Kaidence that took my attention, but I have still been checking on Gracie. It was wonderful to meet your dad last week in the PICU, it was great to talk with him when we went to visit our PICU nurses and doctors. We are so thrilled that things are going well for you.

With Hope and love,
shauntelle & kaidence

Avery said...

I'm so glad she is still making little steps forward.. She's just incredible. she has been through so much... What a little miracle.

Avery said...

I didn't mean to post that comment yet..
I was going to say that feeding has been our biggest issue...we've tried so many different ways to get the nutrition down her and we're still tweaking to figure out what works best for Bela. It's definaltley a process but you'll figure it out and she'll stop vomiting. Bela vomited so much the first few days we were trying to figure the feeding out and we've made lots of progress. Gracie will too.. She really is soo adorable, she looks like such a healthy little baby for all she's been through..

Matchbox Mom said...

Oh little sweetheart! We're still praying for her!

Tam

Melissa said...

We're glad everything went so well yesterday. Hope that things are continuing to improve and the vomit problems go away. We are so anxious for you to hold her and snuggle her so we can hear how wonderful it is. Until then, stroke her feet and hands a few extra times for us and we'll keep pulling for her.

Love,
The Laurences

Ryan & Brytten Pettit said...

I just can't believe all the things our little sweet HEART's have to go through, as if HLHS isn't enough they have to throw up too. Good luck, I'm still think of you guys up here on the third floor, and hoping and praying you'll be up here soon.
Lots of love-
Brytten & Teagan

Sam Anderson said...

We have joined you at PCMC we're in room 1. If you see us feel free to stop by and say hi. :) Mariska just had the Glenn and is doing pretty well. Senting our prayers and thoughts your way.

Hugs,

Melynda, Sam, and Mariska 5 months HLHS

shana said...

Hey Guys,
I'm so glad to hear the good news from yesterday, sorry to hear she's throwing up today! We are still thinking about you and pulling for little Gracie. She seems to be a fighter so I'm sure when the doctors figure her out she will be out of there in no time! I can't imagine what you are going through not being able to hold her! Patience is so hard to learn (at least for me, you've seen how I exercise it!) We will still pray for you, and hopefully come visit in the next few days.

Rachael said...

Found your blog through a friend and couldn't go to sleep until I read it from the beginning to the end! What a journey you have been on! Gracie is precious and such a strong little girl! She will be in my prayers as you and your husband will be too! I hope she continues to get better and you can take her home soon!

Harry said...

Gracie seems to be improving each day. After eduring such a major trauma she seems to be doing great. I am sure that you would love to grab her up and hold her forever! And that is my prayer, lots of hugs and kisses in your futures.

Emily Brimhall said...

I have been following little gracies story from Tiffany's blog. I don't know if you remember me but we've been at a few different functions together including the cabin in Sundance. Anyways, I didn't realize the baby was yours. I will keep your family in my prayers, she is the sweetest little girl.