Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Tough Day Ahead

I am writing a quick update as to what is happening today. They are turning down the ECMO machine slowly over the next 4 hours. At about 2:00 they are going to clamp off her tubes and she how she can do on her own. If she fails, they will keep her clamped off until the surgeons get there, take her cannulas out (from the ECMO machine), close her chest up and let her pass away. If she sustains herself off ECMO, the surgeons will also come and take her cannulas out but leave her chest open just like when she came out of surgery. If she does in fact come off the machine, she will be extremely critical and could still pass away a few hours later. Because she has been on the ECMO machine for 9 days, she is not in the best shape to come off the machine and do well. So I am going to spend the day giving kisses to my Gracie Girl and I will update later.

32 comments:

Shari said...

Michele and Tom,
Our heartfelt prayers are with you on this tough day!! We love you guys!!
Tim and Shari (Tiff's parents)

Kaidence's Mommy said...

We will be praying for you and Gracie as well as everyone else involved. We have Faith that what is meant for Gracie will become and that no matter what that means you will be blessed regardless. Our prayers are with all of your family and the doctors. Please give her loves for us and please know that we are all here for you. We will be on our knees this day as we pray for you. Miracles happen.
"Just when the caterpiller thought the world was over, it became a butterfly"
Author unknown.
Either way, Gracie has become that Beautiful Butterfly for the world to see.

With Hope and Love,
Shauntelle
Kaidence's Mommy

shana said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you today. Gracie is a beautiful little girl and has touched the lives of so many people. Know that we love you and will do anything to help you through this hard time. We love you!
Tony and Shana

Unknown said...

Michelle & Tom~
I don't know your family but have been following your story on your blog after our mutual friend, Suzette linked me to it. I want you to know that our family has been praying for you and will have continually prayers in our heart today for Gracie and your family. I know that our Heavenly Father is with your family during this time and that He too has tears and heartache for the pain you are going through. Stay strong and no matter the outcome know that your sweet Gracie has touched the hearts of many and helped many find the courage to change and be a better person because of her example and the strength your whole family has shown. She is a miracle! Much love and continual prayers!
The Lewis Family in Colorado

Heath said...

Talmage and I both said a prayer just now. The spirit was so strong here in our computer room. I felt Heavenly Father's love for her and I know he is not worried like the rest of us here on earth. He knows her Plan. Over the past couple of weeks my testimony has strengthened so much by your love and faith. I still believe in miracles.

Becky Wertz said...

You have our prayers and thoughts. May the Lord be with you.
Becky and Spencer Wertz
Shauntelle's family

Cheryl and friends @ Valley Turf said...

We are all thinking and praying for you all. May the Lord bless the whole family....Give her a kiss for us....
Love, Cheryl

bunkerfamily said...

What a special Family you have and we are so grateful you continue to share your little Angel with us. We love you and little Gracie and continue to pray for her and your family. Good luck today little Gracie.
Lots of Love,
The Bunkers

Heart Mommy said...

We believe in Miracles!!! Even if they are in diguise... I feel like today is a good day for one...You can DO IT GRACIE!!! Did you hear us from here? YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Scott McMillan said...

We will be thinking and praying for your sweet family all day. All our love. Heidi

Jeanne said...

We will keep a prayer in our heart today for you Michele, Tom, Gracie, and your children.
All our love,
Todd and Jeanne

Christina said...

I hope you can feel all the love that is being sent your way today. Praying for Gracie and your family...

Newmans said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your sweet family. We love you guys!

Melissa said...

We will be praying for your family all day! Thank you for letting us be a part of Gracie's life!

NT Weekes Family said...

Tom & Michelle
May you have peace & comfort in your hearts today & the days to come.... You're family has shown & testified to me over & over again that EVERYTHING is in Heavenly Father's Hands. All we need to to is pray. My thoughts have been with your family through out these last few weeks. Thank You, again, for letting us be apart of this "special" journey with you. Tom & Michelle... you are an insperation to me. Thank You.
Graice's pictures are so beautiful... very creative!
Love, Tom & Nickelle
(Tiffany Snow's friend)

Cami said...

We are watching, waiting, and praying , along with everyone else. I couldn't sleep last night, I kept thinking of you guys and your sweet angel.
Love,
Cami Lindquist

The Gatherum Clan! said...

I am sitting here at the computer with tears running down my face. I hope you can feel all the love and prayers that are being sent your way today. I'm sure there are spirits from the other side with you today to help you as you go through this difficult time. We will continue our prayers!
-Suzette

jen said...

My heart is so full of love for your family today. Again, I am sending all my love and prayers your way!

susan said...

Tom and Michele,
My love is with you today and always. Please give Gracie a kiss from me and know that there are so many praying for you today. It has blessed all of our lives to be a part of this journey. Love, Susan

Tiffany said...

Michele and Tom, we are thinking of you every second. We will pray that Heavenly Father will wrap his arms around you today and in the days and weeks to come. We love Gracie and are grateful for the time we have spent with her. David was glad he got to see her yesterday and spend some time there. As I told her the other night, she will be just fine... and we will take care of her family. We love you so much!
Love, Tiffany & David

Matchbox Mom said...

I cannot stop the flow of tears! I love Gracie so much, and have never met any of you!! My prayers will be for you and especially Max. Also for your family this day. What a blessing that angel baby is.

((hugs))

Em said...

I know this is a tough day and just love, love that little Gracie-girl for all of us. She really is one of the most beautiful babies, on so many levels. We are praying for you still!

Leslie said...

With tears that won't stop and not more than an hour of sleep last night, I am sitting here feeling so helpless, but also feeling the undescribable spirit that comes from your blog. Thank you so much for letting us in to such an intimate part of your life right now. This experience with Gracie has changed all of our lives for the good -- forever! We will be here for you for the long haul...no matter what! I won't stop thinking about and praying for Gracie all day long! I promise.
Your friend,
Leslie

Winnie said...

Michele and Tom
Thank you for sharing such a difficult time in your life for us. Your strength and spirit amaze me!Know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and your beautiful angel of a baby.
Brad, Winnie and kids

Melissa said...

You will be in our thoughts and prayers all day. We are praying for the best for Sweet Gracie and your family while hoping for a miracle. We send all our love your way today. Thank you for strengthening the spirit in our lives.

Craig, Melissa, and family

rochelle said...

Dear Michelle and Tom,
I am Shana's cousin (by marriage). Michelle and I actually went up to a scrapbook sale in Bountiful awhile back. Anyway, I have been following your story on your blog and am so touched by Gracie. What a sweet spirit your experience has allowed me to feel. I have found myself thinking of your family often over the past week or so. You can't help but be touched and moved by Gracie even though it's pictures on a computer. I just wanted to let you know that my prayers are with you today. Thanks so much for sharing your journey so far! Good luck today!
With love,
Rochelle Kjar

princess jen said...

Hi,
I'm an aunt of the other Gracey in the PICU with HLHS. I've been admiring her sweet pictures and I've been so touched by your faith and testimonies. Thank for sharing Gracie with us and letting us read your blog. I never quite know what to pray for and I try hard to ask for Heavenly Father's will and the ability to accept it even if I can't quite understand it. I am praying for your family too.

Kim said...

Tom & Michele,
I've been at the school this morning and dying to get home to check your blog. Please know you are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. We love you and your family and want to thank you for sharing this special experience with us through your blog. Gracie is truly a gift from Heavenly Father...a special little baby angel. I love her.
Love, Kim

Maggi said...

I saw Shana Blackham yesterday and she told me about Gracie and your blog. I want you to know how insipiring your family is. My hopes and prayers are with you today and I wish the best! Thank you for sharing in this hard time - it has been one of the most spiritual things I've been around for a long time.
Maggi Quackenbush

Marci said...

Just wanted you to know you all have been in my thoughts all day long. And I've had so many people let me know that they feel the same way. Gracie has touched everyone's lives who has even heard about her. What a blessing she is to all of us. Thinking of you constantly. And praying too, or course. Love you!!

Natalie said...

I can't seem to function today! I am watching the clock with my heart pounding and tears in my eyes. We hope you can feel all of the love and prayers coming your way. We love you sweet Gracie!
Love, Natalie and Alan

Anne said...

I am Kendall's daughter here in Arizona. I hope it is okay that she shared your story with me. I would like to tell you how amazing it has been to silently observe the events of your life the last two weeks. Without knowing you I have felt your love and strength and powerful testimonies through your incredible postings. What a cherished journal you have created for yourselves and others. My thoughts are with you today, hoping for the Comforter to be with you. Your Gracie is precious beyond precious.