Sunday, April 13, 2008

New Look


Here are some pictures of our sweet baby girl this morning. She has a new look with her new bandages. The nurse let us look at her scar and it looks pretty gnarly. It also goes pretty high up on her chest into her neck area. They are a little concerned about the redness surrounding the sutures. If it still looks bad tomorrow, Dr. Burch may come in and take some of them out. She was open for 18 days and this all contributes to how she is healing now. She had a good night and she is still progressing. They are going to give her another antibiotic in addition to the one she is already on because they are concerned about her getting a sternal infection after being open that long.

They threaded a new art line in her foot this morning. The other one had failed and rather than trying to get her a whole new one, they thread a new line into the existing one. Also, they have started to feed her!! How would you like your first food after 3 1/2 weeks of life? Maybe all the time I have spent pumping my milk will finally start to pay off, we'll keep our fingers crossed. You can run into a whole new set of problems when it comes to feedings.

So we will continue to wait and watch her improvement. We consider each day a blessing that she is here and a true miracle. We thought we were going to lose her a week ago, so everything at this point is icing on the cake. Thanks again for all of your prayers and support. We will post again tomorrow.

28 comments:

SuperCoolMom said...

Oh it's so fun to see her awake and hear that she's doing ok. We'll be praying that she won't get any infections! Have a wonderful Sunday. Enjoy your family!

♥Stef said...

Who will notice that scar? Everyone will be to busy looking at her cute face. She is getting more and more pretty everyday! ~Good luck with your yummy food today Gracie, hope to see you soon.
Aunt Stef

Natalie said...

What a beautiful girl!!!!! She is as beautiful as she is tough! We are glad to hear more good news! It's the best part of my day to pull up your blog and hear good news about Gracie. Have a great Sunday!
Love, Natalie, Alan and kids

Brooke said...

Oh yeah! She is looking good. We will pray that there will be no infections. Enjoy your first "meal" Gracie!

jessicalangprice said...

Love the new look, Gracie! Her belly does look pretty swollen but I'm sure it's a lot better than it was. I hope there's TONS of icing on that cake! Keep up the good work Gracie! Oh, and I can't believe you've been pumping all this time on top of everything. Hopefully it WILL pay off! Way to go super mom!

Anonymous said...

Grandpa Gledhill bore his testimony in church today. It was beautiful. It was really nice to see your kids at church. Granted you are where you should be, we still miss seeing you. Hope you don't mind Tom, I printed one of your blogs to your boys (Deacons) and used it in my YW lesson today on honoring the priesthood. You were my example of someone who magnifed their priesthood. It was harder to get through than I anticipated. We had our YW leader that could hold back the tears the best read it. Both you and Michele have been an inspiration and a blessing to us all. Gracie looks like she is growing. Hoping and praying that you can bring her home soon and that Michele can just hold her all day long if she wants. Love the Lewis Family

jen said...

Me and Marci were just talking on the phone about how beautiful and special she is! We are keeping you all in our prayers!

Grammy Staffy said...

Gracie is so beautiful. No wonder that she has stolen everyone's heart. Our prayers are with you. I hope that loves your milk and can soon take more than 1 ounce a day.
Have a good Sunday.

Sabra said...

We are one year out from ECMO, and I can hardly see any scars! I have to point them out for people who are curious. I'm impressed you've pumped this entire time. I refused. It was just one more thing to stress about, and I was living in hotel five hours from my home and other three kids. Good for you!

Scott McMillan said...

Gracie looks great!! I still have an entire freezer full of frozen milk. The scars will look better with time.

Shari said...

She is precious. I bore my testimony today in my ward about miracles on the earth today!! I hope that is okay!! When you witness a miracle (as we have)it fills your heart!! Thanks for letting me be a small part of beautiful Gracie's journey!!! I will be there in a few weeks and would really like to meet her!! Love to all-Shari (Tiff's mom)

The Gatherum Clan! said...

Hey! Gracie looks so good! So exciting that she continues to improve. And, hey--scars make you more interesting! :) She has a story to tell! Without the scar she may not have as many opportunities to share her story and all that is to be learned from it! We'll keep praying for strength for all of you!!

Harry said...

Wonderful that all the news is GOOD!! You guys hang there, and we will keep praying. That Gracie is one tough cookie.

k8theriver said...

glad to hear she's doing well. she's a champ. amazing.

Julie said...

AMAZING!! It's so fun to get on and read about the miracles that are happening in your lives! Today Parker received the Aaronic Priesthood and Tanner advanced to Priests --WOW 16! Anyway so grandparents were down and I was showing your blog to my mom and I got so emotional. Miracles do happen and she is such a cutie! Thanks for posting the pictures, we love to see her and she looks great! Love, The Skousens

Melissa said...

We're so glad that she is doing so well. Food is a wonderful thing - for me maybe too wonderful sometimes. I hope she takes it well and can soon up her amounts. How amazing that you've been pumping all this time. I think it is such an advantage to babies to get the "pure" stuff - way to go! She is looking so good and we love hearing the good news. Have a wonderful day and we'll pray tonight that she handles her first "meals" well and stays infection free.

Love,
The Laurences

Em said...

That will be a scar she will wear proudly wear! A memory of all that she has overcome and the miracle she truly is! You go Gracie girl! I love those eyes!

Lynell said...

I have been watching your progress and wanted you to know that you are in our thoughts and prayers as well. She is so beautiful I hope that today was a good day for you and your family.

Heather said...

Oh, she looks SO great (considering what she's been through)! I am SO happy that she's doing so well.

Annette said...

She does get prettier every day if that is even possible. It is so incredible to watch these miracles unfold right before our eyes! It makes we want to stop and really enjoy the important little things every day. Just for her to be able to take a little of your milk is something we all take for granted with newborns. We will keep you in our prayers!!! Love Aunt Annette

The Andersens said...

it was good to see you guys in the hospital again today! and again, my husband and i are so so happy for you guys that everything has turned around the way it has. it truly is such a miracle. and a wonderful one! i'm so glad she's gotten to start eating too!! we'll continue to pray that she improves a little more each day!
love the andersens

The B Family said...

She is BEAUTIFUL!!! What a joy to see her strength in her eyes. We will be praying that the feeding goes well & she loves Mommy's milk! Your hard work will pay off. Many blessings~ Rebecca (Annabelle's mom)

Cami said...

She is so pretty! She definitely looks like a Snow! I am glad she is doing so well!!
Good Luck with the feedings!

Mary & Barry Gledhill said...

Your daughter Gracie is just beautiful. It is wonderful to hear her improving progress. Our prayers will continue for your family.

Megan G. said...

I have been praying for you and your family. This world has been blessed with a little angel and she obviously gets all of her strength from her amazing parents. She's absolutely gorgeous, enjoy another day with your beautiful baby girl!
Megan Gunnell

Court and Britt said...

She looks good. She is a beautiful little girl!!

Heather said...

I re-read your post and wanted to tell you how I can relate to the whole pumping thing. I've ended up pumping with all five of my children because the nursing thing is way too painful for me and just doesn't work. I don't know if I could keep pumping in your situation though. I also know that a lot of mothers find that a lot of stress dries up their milk. Snaps to you! You're are amazing!
(Kristi and Kenny's friend)

bunkerfamily said...

We are so happy to see she is doing better and that she get's to start eating REAL FOOD! We hope she enjoy's her first meal. Gracie we continue to pray for you and your sweet family.
We love you,
The Bunker's