Saturday, April 5, 2008

Our Little Fighter

Today is a new day. Gracie did pretty well during the night. She is a little miracle, none of the doctors and nurses (except Dr. K) really expected her to come off ECMO and stabilize. They are concentrating on her lungs today. She was on 100% oxygen and they are trying to wean her down....right now they have her down to 80%.....they want to see her around 50%. They cleared a lot more 'gunk' out of her lungs this morning which is helping with them being able to wean her down. Even though she is basically the sickest baby in the PICU, and still critical, we feel a lot better now that she is off the ECMO machine. To give you an idea as to how much this is a mini miracle, I will explain what one nurse said to us. Gracie's eye's had been open and looking around a lot more the last couple of days she was on ECMO and our nurse said "The babies seem to wake up a lot more when they are getting ready to pass on." She also said that she had never seen a baby with our condition come off of ECMO after one week. Our Gracie is a fighter!! I KNOW it is because of a concentrated effort of prayer in her behalf. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers, keep them coming!!

52 comments:

bunkerfamily said...

Gracie,
Good Morning! you are a sweetheart what a fighter you are. Heavenly Father has truly answered our prayers. Thank you for being so strong. We love you Gracie.
love, The Bunker's

susan said...

What miracles there have been through all of Gracie's struggles. Of course she is a strong baby. She comes from a strong family. There is such a peace knowing that the Lord's plan for Gracie will be the right one. Know that our love and prayers are with you constantly. Love, Susan

Marci said...

Gracie! What a strong little one you are. We love you and are thinking of you always!!

KristinB said...

This is a great update! What a miracle. I thought about Gracie all morning during conference and every talk made me think of her in one way or another. We are so blessed to have a knowledge of where our blessings come from. Heavenly Father is truly watching over your family and blessing you with sweet experiences during every turn of this journey. We will continue to watch and pray for Gracie and your family!

NT Weekes Family said...

WOW!!!

M-I-R-A-C-L-E! :o>

~ It just goes to show YOU How Much Gracie is a fighter! ~
What an AmaZing little Child of God!
Thank You again Michelle & Tom for sharing this experience with ALL of Us! ~ It has blessed my life in more than one way... & I don't even know you! :o>

With Lot's of Prayers & LoVe,
Tom & Nickelle Weekes

Cami said...

Wow!! This is such cool news!! We are all excited at my house!! Gracie is awesome!!
We'll keep praying!!
Cami

Natalie E said...

Yeah! I have been unable to take my mind off of little Gracie and your family. I have been praying continuously! Wow! What a miracle! I hope that each and every day gets better and better for your family! And thanks for sharing this experience with everyone!

Nick, Sonja, Andrew, Madelyn, and Luke said...

Our family was so happy to hear this great news! We will keep praying for her.

Court and Britt said...

We have been checking your blog constantly to see what is happening, we are so glad that she is doing well this morning. What a strong little spirit your family has been blessed with!! We will continue to pray for her:).

Em said...

This is truly a miracle.It just shows what faith and prayers can truly bring!

coccifamily said...

Fantastic! She is an amazing little spirit! We hope you have a great day. Luv- coccimiglios

shana said...

I'm so happy to hear your news!She truly is a little miracle! I just read your mom's blog about an hour ago and heard she had pulled through the night. I was so overwhelmed with joy I couldn't stop crying. I bet every moment with her is just precious! I feel like I should be singing some fight song for her--(don't worry Tom it won't be rise and shine bla, bla, bla....)She is such a little fighter, we will keep praying for her and you that she will have the strength she needs to endure the next few days. XOXOXOX
Love,
Shana

Leslie said...

As each of our kids woke up this morning their first words were, "how's Gracie?" We are thrilled with this morning's news. It's such a blessing to be a witness of such a huge miracle! I'm so glad that you have all been sustained and uplifted by the spirit and have felt the thousands of prayers offered. Allison was assigned the song Amazing Grace this past week for piano. The last few days she has added one note to the music and sings "Amazing Grac-ie" while she plays. I'm sure her teacher will understand. Just wanted you all to know how much ALL of us love your beautiful princess and what a huge part of our lives she has been these last few weeks. We'll continue to pray for her strength and for the guidance of her doctors and nurses.
Hugs,
Leslie

FishinFamily said...

We all love miracles! :) She is such an amazing little one and clearly has amazing parents! (And siblings too) The thoughts and prayers on your behalf are non-stop. We too thought about you throughout the night, and morning. It did seem as though there was something in all of the conference talks that brought you to mind. Thanks again for sharing this will all of us. We love your family so much!

The Andersens said...

she definitely is a little miracle. i'm so happy for her and your little family. i hope so much that things continue to go well and that she can come further down off the oxygen without any more problems. our prayers are with you little Gracie!!
love the andersens

Teresa said...

I have been following Gracie's progress and need to finally say to you that I have been truly touched by what you have shared with us all. She is a beautiful little girl, and truly blessed to have been born into such a wonderful and loving family. And Grace is truly a blessing to all of those who have come to know her, no one more than her little family. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this experience. I will continue to pray for her, and for you as well.
Love, from a sister in Virginia.

dragonflyhill said...

We've been sharing Gracie's story with our friends and co-workers in here in Maine, and lots of people are following the blog. Lots of Red Sox fans up here (being Red Sox Nation and all) and if anyone knows about believing in miracles, it's Sox fans. What an amazing fighter! You go girl!
Can't wait to see you this summer!

Love,
Norm, Shannon, Ali, and Sara

Michelle said...

What a miracle! Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone! It has blessed so many people to be a part of it! Still thinking and praying for you guys and little Gracie!

Michelle Armstrong

To Be or Not to Be said...

Gracie's miracle is yet another evidence that Heavenly Father is in charge and can defy all odds. You don't know me, I am the mother of Robbie who told me of your story (who was told from a friend of a friend of a relative...... something like that). Little Gracie has a spirit that is reaching our own -----. I can say I have experienced what you are going through from a Grandmother's stand pont. Robbie is the mother of 4 children and one on the way. She has had two HLHS children ---- Trey age 4 and our little angel Sasha. We have learned to trust in Heavenly Father and to appreciate each and every day. On one of their family's visits to our home, I heard Robbie holding baby Trey on her lap, helping him with his night prayers. She asked Heavenly Father for him, "Please help my heart to do good." I am praying for baby Gracie's heart to do good for her. We'll continue our prayers for your family in your new life's experience. It's a long road to recovery but you are not alone. Siri Holman

Natalie said...

We were so excited to hear today's good news. It was hard to sleep last night - we were so worried about Gracie. What a miracle she is! Keep on fighting Gracie!
Love Natalie, Alan, Jake, Derek and Megan

kristi said...

I couldn't sleep last night because all I could think about was Gracie and how she was doing. Thank you Gracie, for holding on....we will make it worth it to you!
Love,
Kristi

SuperCoolMom said...

Keep it up Sweet Girl!! We're still praying for you!

Brooke said...

I was so anxious this morning to know how she did that I ended up looking at a couple of your relatives blogs. I was so happy to hear that she made it through the night. She is a fighter and will keep fighting. The prayers will not stop. Go Gracie!

Heart Mommy said...

Have you ever heard that these heart kids are spoiled???? (Spoiled with love and prayers.) I hope we have many more days to spoil you Gracie....This is great news!!!

Anonymous said...

We are so very happy for the miracle that has your Gracie with you today! Love the Lewis Family

Steve and Steph said...

This is a miracle! I can't tell you how much your baby girl has changed my life! I am Tiffany's cousin and have been following Gracie's story the past few weeks. Thank you for sharing your journey because my testimony has been strengthened by your strong amazing family! I have kept a prayer in my heart for Gracie since I've learned of her amazing journey. May the Lord bless your sweet baby girl and your spectacular family is my prayer everyday. She is a fighter and she is a miracle...
Love,
Stephanie Barrus

Katie said...

God is so great!!! I'm a new "heart mom" as well and have been following your story...what a blessing Gracie is to everyone and what wonderful parents you and Tom are. My daughter is 1 week older than Gracie and maybe the two girls can meet someday and share their heart stories and their "zippers"!!! We'll keep praying for your sweet baby...hang in there.
Katie & Maddie Allred, Washington

lara said...

We are so happy to hear the good news today! Gracie is such a miracle!

Love,
The Mortensens

Kaidence's Mommy said...

Way to go Gracie!!!!!
We will kneel down and thank Heavenly Father for this miracle.

This is a HUGE step in the right direction. What a major hurdle you have overcome. Many of us heart mommies have unfortunately had our babies labled as the "sickest" in the PICU at some time but don't let that label fool you because many of us have been able to take our little ones home. It takes time but well worth the wait. So look to that with hope. The road is long and our kiddos will always have bumps in the road, we just enjoy what we have and get used to a new normal. Way to go Gracie. We are so happy for you and your family. We look forward to meeting your mommy and daddy next Thursday when Kaidence goes in. You are another miracle. Embrace your Beautiful life.

With Hope and Love,
Shauntelle & kaidence

jen said...

Oh little Gracie! You are so strong. I am amazed by your strength! I'll keep checking in on you and praying for you- little cutie!

Ingram Family said...

Gracie is always on my mind. Bill and I race to check the blog for updates. I was talking to Tom's Dad last night and he said that you have had so many miracles already, so why stop now! We couldn't agree with him more! Prayers and love - Amy

Mary & Barry Gledhill said...

So good to hear encouraging words. Gracie, keep fighting and we will keep praying.

Mary & Barry Gledhill

Melissa said...

Alright Gracie! You really are an amazing little person with a great big spirit! We are overjoyed that she's pulled through this far. It is such a remarkable experience to see a miracle so close up through your blog. Thank you so much for sharing with us. We love you guys and will continue our prayers in your behalf. Heavenly Father is so wise - only he could have known how to have a sweet baby touch so many lives and bring us closer to Him without a single word. Gracie really is His warrior!

Love,
The Laurences

Heather said...

We are SO thankful that it seems that a miracle is taking place on your family's behalf. We continue to send our prayers, thoughts and love your way!

jessicalangprice said...

Yay little Gracie! We've just been thinking about you all day hoping that no news was good news - and it was! Keep on fighting baby girl. You truly are the miracle baby. We'll hope for more good news tomorrow as we are getting ready for bed now. We'll tell Heavenly Father thank you tonight and ask Him for continued blessings. You must know how much everyone loves you. We love you little miracle!

Heather said...

One of my friends posted Gracie's little picture on her blog a few days ago and ever since I cannot get her out of my thoughts. We have been praying for her constantly. What an amazing little girl she is, Heavenly Father needed her to reach people it seems and that she has. Even though I don't know your family she has blessed me and touched my heart. Thank you for sharing her with us. The Lord works in mysterious ways!

Harry said...

The strength of prayer. "When two or three (thousand, my addition) are gathered together, there I am in the midst of them". No doubt our Lord has a hand in this. Gracie and you guys have touched a considerable amount of people, and all those people are concerned and praying for you family. Very cool how God works in our lives.

KATE said...

I'm so glad to hear that she is doing so well! Good Job Baby Gracie!
We'll continue to pray & are so grateful for "mini" miracles!

Smith family said...

Thanks so much for the update!! We've been checking all night and day!!! What a fighter - you are continually in our thoughts and prayers - we love you guys!!! Stay strong..... you are amazing

Matt, Suzy and gang

Shayla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

What welcomed news! Gracie you are loved, you are a fighter . . .and you are a tremendous example to all of us. So happy for this news. We thank Heavenly Father for this miracle and will continue with our prayers.

Love,
Linda (Rhette and Bette's Cousin)

Recovery Guru said...

Gracie and family,
I found your blog off of intermountain healing hearts page and I had to stop and let you know that I am also sending my prayers in your families direction. Last year we were in your shoes with our daughter, spending day after day in in the PICU, and the only reason we survived those long days and night were from the prayers of family and friends. I am sending you my prayers from one heart family to another, may the angels watch over your little Gracie and hold her close during this hard time!
love,
the Baker Family

Sabra said...

Seems like once our son was taken off of ECMO he just got better and better. I pray the same for you!

Lisa Loeffler said...

So glad to hear baby Gracie is doing much better than expected! I have been so worried about her and your whole family! I read the heart story with Aspen today and she felt inspired to write to Max as she tearfully thought about Gracie and looked at all the pictures. Aspen writes:

Max,
This is Aspen. I hope your baby sister is ok. You are a great brother. I saw the picture of you reading a story to baby Grace and I know you love her so much. I do too and so does her other brother Jesus. Love, Aspen

Shari said...

We are so thrilled for you!! GREAT NEWS!!!! We will continue to pray for her! She is so strong!! A true miracle!!! She can be the baby that does come off ECMO and make it!! Keep fighting Gracie!!! Love to all-Shari

Winnie said...

What great news!!I've been thinking of her constantly today and I can't tell you the joy I feel on hearing the news! Go, go, go Gracie Girl! Thank you for showing us how beautiful life is. I'm still praying. . .

Ashley said...

:o) She is so amazing!
~Ashley

Scott McMillan said...

So thrilled for Baby Gracie's miracle. I am saying a prayer of thanks right now. You guys are amazing.

Amy Finnegan {BookshopTalk.com} said...

Gracie is truly inspiring many of us who have tiny loved ones fighting against the odds.

Thanks so much for sharing your story, and your faith :)

Gracie is in our prayers!

Amy Maires said...

Gracie continues to amaze us!! We are grateful for each little miracle. Our prayers are constantly about her and your family. Looking forward to more good news.

Kara said...

Thank you for sharing the wonderful news! We continue to hope and pray.
Love the Schofields

Shayla said...

I was sent to this blog by a friend of your sister-in-laws... I am just a stranger, but my husband and I have been checking in often for the past week. The spirit we have felt praying for your Gracie has been so strong. Thank you so much for sharing your journey. Your hope and faith is inspiring. We will continue to keep your family and your beautiful baby girl in our thoughts and prayers!
The Mabey Family, Mesa AZ