Saturday, April 12, 2008

Still Good

Our sweet girl is still going strong! She made it through the night and continues to do well today. Over the next few days it is basically a game of turning down her medications and getting her to come off them completely. They think they will start to feed her tomorrow through her feeding tube. Imagine that, she will actually get food for the FIRST time at 3 1/2 weeks old!! Up until now, they have fed her intravenously with nutrients, she has never had anything in her stomach. They said that when you have a heart problem, your body profuses to the most important organs first (i.e. heart, lungs, brain) and the 'gut' is far down on the list. So now that she is on the mend, they will be able to start giving her food. They start very slowly, 1cc per hour which ends up being about 1 ounce in 24 hours!! They want to see how her body will react before they give her more. Anyway, it will just be a slow process of getting her to achieve a new milestone every day. Baby steps! I will post again tomorrow---thanks!

13 comments:

SuperCoolMom said...

Just keep going Gracie!

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful news. Sounds as if Gracie is headed in the right direction. Our prayers will continue in her behalf.

Summer said...

We are thrilled! Gracie is a fighter. Keep up your amazing faith.
With Love, Mark, Summer, baby Mason, and family

Katie said...

What an amazing little girl. I'm sure you're so proud of Gracie...she's overcome so many hurdles and will continue to do so. Now she's on a roll! So happy for you all and look forward to hearing about her baby steps. Keep up your wonderful attitude and outlook. Gracie knows how truly blessed she is to have such a wonderful mommy. We're keeping you all in our prayers!
Katie & Maddie Allred

Teresa said...

So does that mean some good diaper changes in the works?:) Way to go baby girl! Put your mommy to work!
Really, I'm so happy for you that Gracie has reached this milestone. I'll keep praying for the best.

Em said...

This is wonderful! She is just going to love being able to get something else besides the T.P.N.! She is really a miracle and it is refreshing when miracles happen! We will continue to pray that she heals!

Newmans said...

We couldn't be happier that things are going so well!! You are all constantly in our thoughts and prayers.

Skatermom said...

Thank you for sharing with us. I check all through the day to see how Baby Gracie is doing. My Heidi's third grade class talked about her Friday. The little girls were sharing their worries for her. They care so much. We pray for her and look at her sweet pictures. She is so beautiful, even through all of her trials. I love her eyes. Keep up the faith and the strength. You are doing so well.
Love, Michelle Tew & family

Marci said...

We love to hear the good new about Gracie each day lately! What an amazing little thing she is.

Scott McMillan said...

We are so proud of little Gracie and so happy she is doing so well. You guys are amazing.

Grammy Staffy said...

We will continue to pray for Gracie. She is on my mind all day. I hope she will accept her first food and continue to mend. It is amazing to me how much we have come to love Gracie even though we don't know you. I hope this will be a good day. God Bless

Melissa said...

We are so happy that things are going well. You are wonderful examples of faith and endurance. Thanks, again, for sharing your story with us. Gracie is adorable and is amazingly strong. I never imagined I could learn so much from a newborn baby girl.

Recovery Guru said...

Hurray for getting to start the feeding tube! These baby steps are great but sometimes frustrating when they don't happen as fast as you would like, I hope that Gracie will continue taking baby steps forward, she is such a special little girl!